1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

ZetaBoards ACP

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Discussion' started by Jukk, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jukk

Jukk New Member

New sort of documentation. :sarcastic:

INDEX
    1) ZetaBoards Services
    --- a) Admin CP Controls
    --- b) Account Info
    --- c) Help & Support
    --- d) Domain Manager
    --- e) File Manager
    2) Board Customization
    --- a) Preferences
    --- b) Emoticons
    --- c) Filters
    --- d) Website Maker
    --- e) Avatar Gallery
    --- f) Portal Manager
    3) Users & Groups
    --- a) Member Search
    --- b) Remove Members
    --- c) Authorization List
    --- d) Banning
    --- e) Name Changes
    --- f) Bulk Email
    --- g) Titles
    --- h) Profile Fields
    --- i) Groups
    --- j) Forum Access
    --- k) Joinable Groups
    4) Forum Sections
    --- a) Create Sections
    --- b) Manage Sections
    --- c) Section Ordering
    5) Themes
    6) History
    --- a) Moderator History
    --- b) Admin History
    --- c) Email History
    --- d) Warning History
    --- e) Board Statistics
    7) AutoTools
    --- a) Topic AutoTools
    --- b) Member AutoTools

1) ZetaBoards Service
    To start off this documentation of the Administrative Control Panel, (ACP / Admin CP) I'd like to start to explain how to access and alter the general information of your board. In this section of your Admin CP, you can setup the main settings of your forum such as the domain (Website URL such as http://Google.com) that your forum will use, the file manager, and options that allow certain users to access certain sections of the Admin CP. It's very important that no mistakes are made in the duration of the setup of this section. Be careful of who you grant access to certain things though. Don't always trust your staff if they have a bad history.
    The Admin CP Controls allows you to set certain members to have some access to the Admin CP. If you want a member to be able to manage the theme of your board, you could add them under the Theme Managers section and they will have the access. Be careful about who you allow in though, because this also means they can erase current themes on the board, and that could ruin your board forever.
    In this sections of the Admin CP, you can find information on your board such as the creation date, the serial number, and the server. (xx.ZetaBoards.com) You can also rename your board here. (xx.ZetaBoards.com/Board Name)
    **NOTE** If you change your board link, you will have to tell your members or they will lose the link.
    Official documentations written by the ZetaBoards staff are available here. If you need help on your board, or something is seriously wrong, check the documentations from the ZetaBoards staff first before anything. Usually your answer can be found. If you are still in need of help, open up a support ticket. A staff member from ZetaBoards will assist you as soon as they can.
    One of the best customization features available for your board is the ability to mask the default URL (xx.ZetaBoards.com/Board Name) with your own, purchased, domain name. If you are looking to buy one, I suggest either GoDaddy or Yahoo. (Yahoo is only $1.99 your first year!) Once you bought it, set a CNAME record to point to the server your board is hosted on such as Beta.ZetaBoards.com. That server is only available for the boards registered in the beta testing period of ZetaBoards so be sure to set it to point to your server. Once that is set, give it around 48-72 hours to fully activate, and type the domain for subdomain (which ever you set) in the "Add Domain" box on the Domain Manager page. If you want it to be the default domain of your forum, set that as Primary in the box above.
    There isn't a lot you can do here. The main thing here is you can view how much space has been taken by uploaded files on your forum. You can also manage and remove currently uploaded files to allow space for more. You may also upload images or files directly from that page.
    Congratulations! You have just setup the first part of your forum; the security and basic forum information. Now we can start customizing your forum a little bit. This section will involve replacing the default emoticons (smiley faces / expressions) with your own custom set, creating separate avatar galleries if members and staff don't have their own, and overall custom preferences of the board. Although the following options aren't all necessary, these are very important keys to making your forum look it's best.
    Everything in this category is almost self-explanatory. What I will say is these options will impact your entire forum. I suggest you double check it all before you just say your finish it. Setting the wrong values in each box and option can lead to a serious problem in your forum. After this is all setup, I guarentee you will already see a difference on your forum's index page, and other pages as well if you configured them.
    Setting up your emoticons is something you might want to do before you open. Once people have used the default emoticons, they will stay there even if you add the new one with the same emoticon text. If you remove the default emoticon, the text is all that stays. You will notice this if you add a new set later on after the board has been open for a while. Return to an old topic and you will see the text, image name, or the old emoticon if you didn't delete it. To add a new one, simply browse for the image, and type in the emoticon text that will be applied for it.
    Filters is something I suggest you think twice before setting. The concept of the filters are to replace any profanity or user-set restricted words with new words or characters. The thing members don't like about this is that it limits freedom of speech. If you choose to add it, I wouldn't go crazy and filter out small, petty words that don't offend anyone. This is all personal choice, but be careful because members will not hesitate to complain.
    This tool allows you to create something that was only available by code on Invisionfree. You can create extra pages through your forum to add whatever you like. You can add a custom store, a staff listing, even an advertising page. Something I personally think this is great for is contests. You can run the contest through a whole different page on your forum.
    The avatar gallery allows you to add avatars to a certain gallery which any registered user on your forum can use. To add a gallery, add it under the box that says "Create Folder" and to add avatars, hit browse under "Upload Avatar Image" and select the desired image. To add an avatar to a specific gallery, go to the box titled "Add Avatar" and select both the avatar and the gallery, then press "Add Avatar" at the bottom of the box.
    Finally a tool has been incorporated to allow you to edit your portal so you can actually get use out of it. I'm sure your screaming right now because you are so happy! To actually setup content pages, press "Add new portal content block" and set all your desired settings. The only thing you might have a question on is placement priority. Which ever option you select, that is where the content block will appear on the side you chose in the option above it labeled "Placement".
    Now that all of your board's preferences and settings have been put into place, and you have a basic understanding of how your forum will function, it's time to setup the customization! Let's start off with setting up your Groups such as the staff teams and administrative teams. You will be able to set their colors, and accessibility options. I won't be suggesting anything for the privileges of each group as thats a personal decision, but be sure you make good choices.
    One of the most basic tools there is. You can fill in the boxes to locate a specific member and manage their account. From this page, you can ban them, change their profile and personal information, and even edit their post count. You can also give them moderator privileges from this page.
    This tool can be used to permanently delete a member(s). You can go through certain options such as deleting members with a certain amount of posts, or when they registered. You can also just search for a specific member's name and remove them from a forum. Please note that their posts will still stay where they were unless you remove them manually.
    This page shows you the members who are currently validating (if you have a form of validation set) and you can manually approve or decline them. If no names show, or you did not set email or administrative validation, then leave this page alone.
    This page allows you to set restrictions on your forums and ban certain values. If you don't want anyone to have a certain username, you can ban the name and no one will be allowed to register with it. The same goes for IP addresses and email addresses.
    You can manually change a member's name or approve/decline their requests. Members can request a name change via their controls on any page of the forum. They will be told an administrative user will have to approve their name change before it is instated. If you don't want them to have that name, you can decline it and they will get a message saying it was declined.
    g) Titles
    From this page, you set the pip/team icon and text that appears in a member's title after that member reaches a certain amount of posts. You can be as creative as you want, but don't do anything offensive.
    You can now set custom profile fields that members will be able to edit in their profile and have it viewable by all members. You can put things that would only relate to your board as well as general things such as gender or grade level.
    This group is where you can create the usergroups of your staff members as well as members and administrators. You can set their colors and personal settings for each group. Once you setup your usergroups, you can add members to it via Member Search. Watch where you set certain members, giving certain members too much power can result in a major crisis. They can delete posts, and data on your forum.
    This page is exactly like the Invisionfree version of a permission mask. You can set a group, in which you can add usergroups, where they only have access to certain forums on your forum. It's quite simple, but this can set the basic boundaries for your members.
    Joinable groups are fun little groups that you can let people publicly join. What has been previously been a manual thing to setup, as clubs or gangs, is now a full feature in ZetaBoards. You can even have your own forum for your group. Think carefully about this feature, it really can be turned into something unique.
    Well, you have now just setup the building blocks of your board. It's time to move onto the final stages of setting up the forums and the theme(s). Now, lets get started and setup the forum sections, categories, and forums of your board. The first thing you need to know before setting up these categories is what kind of board are you making. You need to setup the forums around your board's theme. If you don't do this properly, it could really ruin your board and you will wind up with a failure.
    This page allows you to setup all types of forums including the categories. This page branches off into three subpages where you will actually create the desired object. Be careful when writing forum names and descriptions, you don't want any typos. Also be sure that the description really does describe the forum, and it's professional.
    c) Section Ordering
    So maybe you have accidentally created forums or categories in an order that you didn't want. From this page, you can move them around to your liking. I suggest you think twice about the ordering as it is a crucial thing in board structuring.________________________________________________________
    5) Themes
    Now your board actually looks like something. It's secure, groups have been setup, and you have started to post things around. The final thing you have to do is get a nice looking theme. You can get one from a resource board to fit your liking, or create it yourself, but the next few pages will help you create and/or install your theme into the theme selector. I highly suggest you watch what you are doing, errors are easily made here. Do the fact that ZetaBoards' Themes are so customizable, everything in this category is so self-explanatory, that I will not write how to use this as you really just should refer to the creator's instructions of the theme you want. It will say how to install it there.
    Alright, your board has been running a bit and you want to check what your moderators and administrators have been doing. You can even check who's been warned and who sent emails. This section allows you to do all of this. Even your board's stats can be checked here. I suggest never clearing these logs as they can solve mysteries about your board such as if someone deleted a post or not. This is one of the most handy tools on the ZetaBoards service.
    b) Admin History
    As I mostly explained above, this section allows you to view what your administrators have been doing and what recent actions they have taken.
    d) Warn History
    You can check who has warned who in here, and at what date and time. Again, never clear logs such as these because they can solve mysteries of who did what.
    On this page, you can view your board's statistics from certain dates and times to another. After you specify your settings, hit "Show Statistics" and you will see how many members joined, and how many posts were made during the time you specified.
    As a wrap up this document, almost a month after I started, I'd like to explain this last tool. AutoTools allow you to moderate more easily. If you used Invisionfree, an AutoTool is the same as a Multi-Mod. After setting these up, you will always be able to access them whenever you would need to. ZetaBoards features a new type of AutoTool, or Multi-Mod, a Member AutoTool. If you already know how the topic ones works, skip to b) Member AutoTools of this part.
    Topic AutoTools allow you to post a message that has been pre-typed and have it do a moderator action at the same time. For instance, if you have a Feedback-type forum on your board, you might want a Topic AutoTool that automatically closes the topic and says that the topic has served it's purpose. It's just something to make your life easier as a moderator or administrator.
    Member AutoTools automatically send a PM to a member explaining what the modification to their account was made, and what happened. If a member has an explicit signature or avatar, you can use a Member AutoTool to PM them and explain why it was removed. Again, this is just a tool to make your life easier.
    It's now June 12th, 2007, and I'm writing this conclusion. I really hope you find this documentation useful because at my expense, you learned how the Admin CP of the ZetaBoards platform works, and how to somewhat open a board. I hope you enjoyed it, and respect the copyright. This document took me the longest and it took the most effort, so I'd appreciate if you respected that.
  2. Hayze

Hayze New Member

Wow! Amazing post!
  3. Liammm

Liammm New Member

Great Documentation.

Fantastic stuff. That has helped me so much. I repped it,
  4. Blast

Blast New Member

You have a lot of time on your hands my friend :D

Very thorough though.
  5. Jukk

Jukk New Member

No problem.

And documentations I write are done in spare time, just to let you guys know.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.