1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Yahoo Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting Forum' started by chococheese, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chococheese

chococheese New Member

I used to use Yahoo Hosting for quite a long time. They advertise it under their "Yahoo Small Business" brand. There were a few issues I had with them. The main issues I had were that their FTP system had very strict file name rules. I can't remember them exactly but I remember I couldn't install IPB on it because a few of the IPB files had spaces in the file names. I could remove the spaces from the file name but this could then potentially compromise the structure of IPB. Other things that bothered me about Yahoo is that they ran an old version of MySQL and their support for PHP 5 didn't seem up to par. Otherwise, it got the job done, but the problems I had were severe enough for me to cancel their service. I canceled my hosting plan and transferred my domain out in February. Has anyone else used them? To those who have, what are your thoughts about their service?
  2. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Ive never used them to be honest , i made the mistake of hosting with Godaddy for years and also namecheap both extremely slow and support is terrible. Im now with URLjet and i guess you can say you get what you pay for . More expensive than the normal hosts but the support is amazing and the servers are super fast. I would imagine that yahoo hosting is more designed for small businesses ( hence the name lol ) which run asp sites etc.

( on a side note ) i hate IPB with a passion lol
  3. chococheese

chococheese New Member

Yeah, Yahoo would probably be sufficient for most people, but I did find myself having trouble often with the FTP server. Even when not working with IPB, I often received errors because of the file names. Also, Yahoo isn't really a specialized hosting company, so I felt they didn't put as much effort into the support since they run a dozen other services.

I do like the IPB software itself, but I really hate their documentation. It isn't specific at all and they won't even let you use their support forum if your license is expired if I remember correctly.
  4. _Matt

_Matt New Member

I have used Yahoo before and I can't remember the problems I had now as it was quite a few years back but I remember the service was crude and sloppy at best.

I've tried a few hosts over the years and haven't been too happy but I now have a dedicated server from 1 & 1 and I am more than satisfied with them, I've been with them for 2 years now and I don't think I shall be changing.
  5. chococheese

chococheese New Member

That is pretty much how I felt Yahoo's service was like. The hosting just felt kind of neglected in my opinion, probably because Yahoo puts most of its focus into the other services it offers. I had to wait on hold for a while when I called in to customer support a few times and it took them longer than normal to transfer my domain to another registrar.
  6. _Matt

_Matt New Member

I agree. They have so many other services to focus on that are more popular and profitable than their hosting so the service and support sits somewhere else.

I've been thinking and I still can't remember exactly what the problem was, mainly because my memory is like their service, crude and sloppy, but I do recall a lot of FTP issues with them - It may have been filename problems but there were others too like connections cutting off every few minutes.

All I know is I would not recommend them to my worst enemy.
  7. chococheese

chococheese New Member

I think I remember what you are talking about. I believe their FTP system had a very short inactivity timeout, so they would close the connection on you if you had to take a minute to locate a file on your system. That wasn't as big of an issue to me as the file name restrictions though. The outdated PHP and MySQL support is what finally pushed me over the edge with Yahoo.
  8. LALAGUY

LALAGUY New Member

I never knew Yahoo did hosting. I doubt it's a frontrunner when it comes to quality, but I should look at it.
  9. chococheese

chococheese New Member

Some people have probably overlooked it since they market the service as Yahoo for "Small Businesses". Their plans are priced pretty reasonably if I remember correctly but I wouldn't really recommend them, especially if you plan to install forum software.
  10. oniraug

oniraug New Member

wow i didnt know yahoo even had hosting.. why would you use that :)
  11. chococheese

chococheese New Member

I really don't remember why I chose Yahoo. It was definitely geared more towards businesses.
  12. jawnmurray

jawnmurray New Member

aren't they very costly???
  13. WireNine

WireNine Member

Yahoo hosting is used by millions but it's not always the best choice for everyone, their feedback is mostly negative for web hosting around the internet for poor support and restrictions.
  14. chococheese

chococheese New Member

Yeah, that's pretty much why I left them. And in terms of cost, Yahoo wasn't priced that bad.
  15. jawnmurray

jawnmurray New Member

I do know about Yahoo hosting but have never bothered using it. I'm quite satisfied with hostgator. It is cheap also. why don't you switch to that.
  16. akibills

akibills New Member

well thanks for the informations
  17. jaikanth12

jaikanth12 Member

Yahoo Web Hosting, more formerly referred to as Yahoo Small Business provides one with what they need to get their website(s) hosted with a reliable and trustworthy
  18. chococheese

chococheese New Member

It was pretty reliable, but I wasn't happy with the lack of features offered and also the customer service seemed to be lacking as well. That is why I stopped using them.
  19. asdfghjkl

asdfghjkl New Member

I too no idea about the hosting of yahoo. But to read this topic, feel yahoo is not better.
  20. Dan321

Dan321 New Member

Yahoo hosting is alright I guess. I have used it a little. I prefer using a cpanel web host though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.