1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Wikipedia adds no follow to external links :(

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Discussion' started by temi, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. temi

temi New Member

"In an attempt to thwart spammers and search-engine optimization mischief, Wikipedia has begun tagging all external links on its site "nofollow", which renders those links invisible to search engines. Whether this is a good thing, a bad thing, or simply unavoidable has become a matter of much debate."
    full story here: http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/22/1840214&from=rss
  2. jumpenjuhosaphat

jumpenjuhosaphat New Member

I think its a great thing to do...The trouble is with wiki sites is that anyone can edit any page on the site. Wikipedia does a pretty good job at keeping spam out for the most part, in fact I've never seen any, I guess that can be attributed to some of the more diligent users who try to keep the wiki's cleaned up. But wikipedia isn't in the business of advertising, they are there to offer information, and they do that pretty well. So it doesn't really effect them at all by having the no-follow attribute on anchor tags, it effects the people who use it for SEO.
  3. temi

temi New Member

You are righ, it does not affect wiki the company but the volounteers who help them in the hope that they at least get a link to their site will not be too keep any more.
  4. jacobphilip12

jacobphilip12 New Member

Wikipedia has begun tagging all external links on its site
  5. micheal009889

micheal009889 New Member

wikipedia has done great job in barring external links .
  6. kevinray132

kevinray132 New Member

wikipedia has done a grt job by taking this step, as anyone could change information the website and misuse it.. so good work wikipedia!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.