1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

What makes a forum successful & useful?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by jani, Sep 9, 2009.

1. jani

jani Designer

OK, you land on a forum and browsing the forum sections to read some topics. What makes you happy there that you think it is a good forum and you should join and participate there?

Do you see the total no. of posts/topics forum has?

Do you see how many users are online?

You like the quality of discussions?

I know another webmaster forum wherein "I bet you" there is no quality content as compare to WG but there are more members online and more topics there.

I want to know your opinion on what makes a forum useful and successful in its niche?
  2. jamey

jamey New Member

most people go for a simple alexa and pr check. Sad to say this is not the best way to say if you have found a good forum, but most people do this anyway
  3. WebEvader

WebEvader New Member

I basically saw this forum, loved the design and new that I had to join. However what you need is a source of traffic from google for a good keyword like "webmaster forum". Then this forum would grow very quickly. ;)
  4. jani

jani Designer

@Web Evader, yes, our forum's ranking is improving now and soon we will get good traffic from Google :)

I agree we are not as busy as other forums started with WG but one thing I am very satisfied is the "quality" of posts. I am sure if someone visits this forum he will definitely learn something here and will not leave by saying oh this is just another webmaster forum :)
  5. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen New Member

What makes a forum great is its members. People who care about interacting with other people and building connections and having some good discussions. I personally think quality of posts is the most important aspect of a forum.

Next to that is the design. If it looks ugly I just won't post.
  6. steve

steve Guest

Well, the things I like to see in the forums are Design, Forum sections, Quality of posts.

If I land on a forum first I spend few minutes browsing the topics to see what people are talking about and are the replies to the questions really good or not. If I find them good then I join otherwise not.
  7. popowich

popowich Technical Support

Quality of relevant posts. Friendly members helps too.
  8. imported_Luka

imported_Luka New Member

Well it's the Page Rank, and Alexa rank and the posts that are made, that's the thing that makes it successful.
  9. popowich

popowich Technical Support

Why do you care about page rank and it being your #1 mention for measure of success?
  10. jani

jani Designer

I am not worry about pagerank anymore because now "traffic" is everything for me. I am not going to pay attention to selling links/banners so I am not worry about having high PR.

What I always prefer is quality of posts/discussions and the daily traffic.

I will write some unique articles and blog posts to grab the attention to this forum :)
  11. sabeen

sabeen New Member

I see the no. of total members on the forum and then I check the topics if they are interesting or not.

I don't want to get bored on a forum where there are only few members.
  12. lifeplayer

lifeplayer New Member

Personally i will see whether the forum provide informative post, and the potential of the forum. Other than content, i will look for the opportunity
  13. imported_Leslie

imported_Leslie New Member

Having a good members and a relevant topics to discuss. Wherein members will keep on participating.
  14. MuhammadWaqas

MuhammadWaqas New Member

Poster count very much. like if you keep on just increasing thread in general talk section. it will nt help to increase members and se indexing. I think at the start you must hire some good poster for month with per day min thread limits & also helping to others' prbs in other threads too, who start threads with good keywords "Thread Name" and give some useful info to reader. (as i submitted an article at site reviver but still jani didnt published ..lol)
  15. vectro

vectro Member

What makes a forum useful are lots of members, quality posts and active moderators to remove spam and useless posts.
  16. dexterallen01

dexterallen01 New Member

I do not think that better PR means that forum is good and useful. As there are many forums which are very much useful, informative but having low PR. Forum known as successful and useful depending on its traffic. As if forum has much information then that forum is very much useful.
  17. dextermarkus

dextermarkus New Member

I basically saw this forum, loved the design and knew that I had to join. Choosing targeted keywords will ensure instant growth of any forum.
  18. zdan06

zdan06 New Member

Every forum is very useful as this is another type of online community bringing users to discuss every topic, sharing information, gaining friends and sometime you earn. Using forum you can also promote your own page by posting into the related topic or use it into your signature.

How forum become successful? Simply analyze the numbers of members and visitors, posts and interested topics, how the forum is indexed and on top of the Search Engine, and the site traffic. If the forum site is gaining high numbers of traffic then the site itself will earn from revenue. That is how the forum or site will become successful. Like this.
  19. Jahanzaib

Jahanzaib New Member

Running and Maintaining the Forums is the highly patience job it required much extra from the admin and controlling team to promote and remain active @ forums
  20. Yobachi

Yobachi New Member

I research your post . it was extraordinary.Your believed method is wonderful.