1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

What is VPN?

Discussion in 'VPS & Cloud Hosting' started by nidhinpereira, Jul 7, 2014.

1. nidhinpereira

nidhinpereira New Member

A VPN supplies network connectivity over a possibly long physical distance. In this respect, a VPN is a form of Wide Area Network (WAN). VPNs enable file sharing, video conferencing and similar network services. Virtual private networks generally don't provide any new functionality that isn't already offered through alternative mechanisms, but a VPN implements those services more efficiently / cheaply in most cases.
  2. vijaywebsolutions

vijaywebsolutions Member

Thanks for the definition, nidhinpereira. Here is some more information about Virtual Private Network (VPN).
    There are three types of VPN available which are PC-to-PC VPN, Remote Access VPN & LAN-to-LAN VPN.
    • PC-to-PC VPN - to use this type of VPN, the user has to install a VPN client on his/her computer and only a few dozen computers can connect to the VPN. It is also known as Intranet.
    • Remote Access VPN - it is used to enable remote access from an external location to a physical layer 2 network. It is also known as Remote Access.
    • LAN-to-LAN VPN - it allows linking existing physical layer 2 networks at different sites together into one network. It is also known as Extranet.
    Advantages of VPN:
    • Using a VPN, a comany can save money by eliminating the need for long-distance leased lines, telephone charges & offloading support costs.
    • Companies can avoid the scalability issues of buying multiple lines for multiple branches by simply tapping into the the public lines and network capability readily available.
    • The VPN technology works well with the Wi-Fi local area networking.
    • Connecting via VPN, you data is kept secured and encrypted.
    • Allows sharing of files.
    • Using a VPN, you can change your IP address based on your needs.
    • Bandwidth and efficiency of the network is increased.
    Due to these advantages, the VPN services are getting more and more popular.
  3. freddypete

freddypete Member

I am also using a VPN service. I mainly use it for two reasons. One is, my data are kept secure and encrypted while using a VPN, Second is, I can change my IP address based on my needs. I use to ensure the change in my IP address by visiting IP-Details.com and and have an IP lookup.
  4. marclewis

marclewis Member

Virtual private network enables a computer to send or receive data across the private or public network.
  5. HowardMedeiros

HowardMedeiros Member

VPS is virtual private service, as the name suggests it is used to give hosting service. it is a virtual machine. The technology used in VPS is same as VMware or Virtual Box.
  6. Olin Lamanna

Olin Lamanna Member

This is really interesting. Thank you for your awareness. For an organization looking to provide a secured network infrastructure for its client base VPN can be a good choice.