1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

What domain extension do you prefer to register instead of .com?

Discussion in 'Domain Name Forum' started by Gym-power, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. namebutler

namebutler New Member

For tech sites

For tech-computer websites I like to use .net.
  2. jasontn

jasontn New Member

I usually register .com .net, .info (in the preceding order) first. If those are not
    available then I go for .biz. Later I might check out a .tv, .cc or some non TLD.

I usually avoid .org because they are for non-profit sites. However, you can use a .org
    for a profit site and they rank very well.

Actually, I have seen .info's rank well and even a .biz rank well. I don't think the
    TLD makes a difference in ranking. However, the location of the hosting (which nation)
    makes a big difference for new sites. Therefore, if you want to rank on Google.co.uk
    then get British hosting.
  3. seoseattle

seoseattle New Member

I won't buy anything that's not a com,net, or org. No ifs, ands, or maybes.
  4. jasontn

jasontn New Member

I'll buy a .info if it contains a highly searched keyphrase. This extention can rank well. For example, look at spain.info's Google ranking for "spain". You might even have a better shot with ranking an "exact keyphrase" .info then a "keyphrase" or "no-keyphrase" .com, .net, .org etc.

However, the marketplace value of .info is lower. However, as I said before, they rank just as well as other extentions and probably attract as many visitors (in other words, people are not turned off by the .info extention). Plus, you don't need to work harder to rank .info's. I think that is a myth.

If your into buying and selling names then .info won't get as much. However, if your only concerned with ranking your site then .info might be a wise choice. This is especially true if the .com, .net, and .org extentions are all taken up.

Iv'e even seen a .biz rank for an extremely competitive term.
  5. gracyj

gracyj New Member

I prefer .org or .net. I usually get the domain names with .com extensions at www.thewebpole.com .May be because my names are unique which no one wishes to take.
  6. hbk

hbk Member

well, i only go for .com's only.. but for small informative site i buy a .info because its cheap lol
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.