1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Website name

Discussion in 'SEO Forum' started by Hyperion, Dec 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hyperion

Hyperion Website Trader

Is it important for SEO ??

should the website's name be on the same topic with the theme of your website or is not an important factor ?

most of the good names have been occupied for .com , .net and .org so you either go to a not so popular/searchable name or you choose another domain

any thoughts on the above ?
  2. Rahul

Rahul Love

There are actually 2 things in your question.

1. Website name should be same as website content or not?

2. Does website name have any effect on search engine optimization?

am I right? Here are your answers

1. Yes, your website name/domain name should be related to your website's content. People should understand your website content just by looking at your domain name. Yes many good domain names are already taken but you can try different variations of words.

2. Regarding website name & SEO, I don't think it affects much. Because few days ago I searched for "Web Design Blog" and the site came #1 on google was smileycat.com... Now can you understand what is the relation of web design blog with the word "Smiley" & "Cat" ?? but still it is on TOP, because they promoted their site using keyword "Web Design Blog" and Google put their site up.

SEO depends what keywords you select to promote your site, it doesn't have any relation with your domain name IMO.

Guys correct me if I am wrong anywhere :)
  3. jamey

jamey New Member

From my experience I can tell you: Website name must be exactly what you want mainly to rank for. But don't worry you can easily rank for other terms also. As for domain name, that's a slightly different story. I have seen many domain names rank well, sometimes even outrank the site with the keyword in the domain name. However I feel that in general having the keywords as the domain name can prove to be an advantage.
  4. zyke

zyke New Member

Website name, should be the best word to describe your site. The website name itself will encourage visitors, especially when they found it on the name.
    For example, I am looking for a poker games and I found a website named, Online Poker, then of course, I would think that it's the website that I am looking for.
    And it is more advisable to use your keyword or key phrase for URL.
  5. mit

mit Member

It would be great having your brand name in your domain name / website name. It will show your brand from the domain itself and would be easy to remember for people then.
  6. extreme

extreme VIP MEMBER

What i believe is that you need to make your website brand. Now how can you have brand in your domain. i think the most important thing :D which matters is "Keyword". Still you cannot only depend upon and expect for clinch progress of your business. You need to work on all parameters.
  7. kumar80

kumar80 Member

It is the plus point if you are having keyword in domain name or the domain related to the niche from seo point of view as well as user to remember on revisit.
  8. lifeplayer

lifeplayer New Member

keyword in domain name is playing very important role. The extension is not too important. So, always go for the domain name with keyword
  9. mizatick

mizatick New Member

I would say that a website name is very very important and it must be related to the site and it must be chosen very wisely and it must also be attractive and good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.