1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

VB or IPB?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Humza Bajwa, Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humza Bajwa

Humza Bajwa Active Member

Which one do you prefer and why?
  2. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

vbulletin all the way bud, IPB is hard work compared to IPB imo . Its alot easier to work with vbulletin although i will reserve judgement of VB4 until i have played with it properly .
  3. Humza Bajwa

Are you testing out the beta? Jw, how does that work?
  4. jani

jani Designer

I have not used IPB but only phpbb & Vbulletin. I would vote for vBulletin 100%.

Its great forum script with lots of mods available :)
  5. RDragos

RDragos New Member

I've only worked with vbulletin, and it seamed to me the best. Very easy to use.
  6. midlandi

midlandi Can you smell that?

VB does seem to offer more in the way of mods etc. Also there is a wash of support everwhere for it.
  7. ~kev~

~kev~ Active Member

I have not used the invision power board forum on any of my sites, so I can not offer any first hand experience with that.

With vbulletin - I have used it for 2 1/2 years on one of my sites and almost 1 year on another couple of my other sites.

vbulletin is good forum software, and has lots of modifications. But, ever since internet brands bought vbulletin, there has been a lot of changes - and some of the changes have not been for the better.

Because of the way the management of internet brands is acting, the next forum I open will probably use invision power board.
  8. Humza Bajwa

Kev, just for curiosity's sake, can you please elaborate?
  9. mortymort0

mortymort0 New Member

VBulletin all the way its really easy and user friendly, plus it still allows you to give off a professional look.
  10. Parfait

Parfait New Member

Invision Power Board definitely. A friendly community, more responsive developer community, tons of great graphics designers and modification developers, and more! Before my excuse for buying vBulletin over Invision Power Board was because it was cheaper, but now vBulletin is more expensive so it's better to just buy Invision Power Board. You get more. You have awesome support. It's cheaper!
    Demo : free forums
  11. ~kev~

~kev~ Active Member

The new CMS and the forum have to be in the same directory. Right now you can not have the CMS on the home page and the forum in a /forum folder.

Excuse me, this is the 21st century right? Then "why" is the new CMS being coded like this is 1995 or something. Having to have the CMS in a certain location is going to cause problems later on down the road.

There are lots of small things that are not being fixed - such as a one click unsubscribe link for admin emails. When a forum owner sends out an email, they have to provide information on "how" to unsubscribe. This is required by some kind of anti-spam law. When members receive an email from the admin, they have to log into their account and manually change the settings - this is so 1990s.

VB4 has all kinds of small bugs in it, and its being pushed out the door. Visit the vbulletin.com forum sometime and read through it.

A lot of the modifications from vb 3X will not work in VB4. People that made modifications are going to have to rewrite a lot of their stuff. This is all very time consuming.

The lightbox that came with VB 3.6 looks like crap.

For a long, long time the previous management of vbulletin turned a deaf ear to the wants of the customers. And now internet brands wants to push a rough hack job out the door and call it a finished product?
  12. KPossum

KPossum New Member

I used to like IPB because it was simple and everyone was using phpbb at the time. Now I realize vb is way better, it's nice to use and although it uses more resources it's more professional and IPB feels too cluttered with things.
  13. linkmoko

linkmoko New Member

For me it's VB, Its a lot easier to work with vbulletin and user friendly.
  14. Caleb

Caleb Member

I use IPB3 for my Webmaster Forum, needless to say it has been hard to easily install 1 mod. So I haven't got any mods yet. There are so many mods for VB so it makes it such a better option now thinking back. One thing you should reserve vb4 for. Is my friends forum, now doesn't open in Gchrome or Opera since he upgraded to 4.1. I think it was.

It's still broken!

- Caleb -
  15. jaikanth12

jaikanth12 Member

This are the features of vb and ipb
    Pro vB:

• Reputation/karma--I think it'll really work with my site
    • Rate this thread
    • Hacking community
    • Extent of removing vB brand (i.e., I can hide the software from my poachers)

Pro IPB:

• It looks great. And the emoticons. In this business, looks are pretty important, more important than many think--I know a lot of people won't notice the difference in the features, but will be drawn in by the look.
    • Built-in dynamic homepage for main site.
    • Multi-moderation (kind of automated) will be GREAT for my forum--I find I need to moderate many of the same type of reply.
    • Topic splitting and merging works really well.
    • Some cool minor features--multi-quote, and some others.
    • ACP is pretty powerful.
    • Matt seems like an honest guy.
    so i think ipb is good.
  16. vBDiscussions

vBDiscussions New Member

Go with vBulletin best way to go :D
  17. seofusion

seofusion New Member

Needless to say, you should choose VB, the most successful forums all use VB :)
    1 person likes this.
  18. vBDiscussions

vBDiscussions New Member

Everybody Loves vBulletin - That would make a good show loolll.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.