1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Types of Firewall

Discussion in 'Computer & IT Forum' started by summerwilkins, Jun 23, 2011.

1. summerwilkins

summerwilkins New Member

Has anyone of you know about types of firewall? Is it really necessary that computer has a firewall? I'm not that very sure if mine has firewall already.
  2. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

I use a hardware firewall which is built into our router, no software firewalls are used but a good antivirus is. With most people now using wireless routers the need for software firewalls imo are getting alot slimmer apart from those whom maybe have small children that need the extra protection in blocking certain sites etc
  3. veryshant

veryshant Member

A firewall is a single device used to enforce security policies within a network or between networks by controlling traffic flows.A firewall sits at the junction point or gateway between the two networks, usually a private network and a public network such as the Internet. The earliest firewalls were simply routers.

Many personal computer operating systems include software-based firewalls to protect against threats from the public Internet. Many routers that pass data between networks contain firewall components and, conversely, many firewalls can perform basic routing functions.Some of the most powerful firewall software on the market is designed to run on an ordinary computer — probably a dedicated server if you're securing a large network.
  4. loremar

loremar Member

I think firewall is used to protect a computer from vulnerabilities and threats posed by being connected in a network. It is especially useful when you're using a computer and internet in public areas like restaurants, hotels, etc. I know windows has a built-in firewall but you can also use some other softwares for enhanced firewall protection. A good example where I heard good reviews is the comodo firewall.
  5. neo127

neo127 Member

I am using Comodo firewall since a year and I must say that having an extra firewall helps you a lot in protecting from external virus. It usually denies the unnecessary and unusual activities of even Windows too. Right now I am using combo of Avira AV and Comodo firewall and very happy with this combination as usually almost every undesired element stays away from my system.
  6. Oliver_Williams

Oliver_Williams New Member

Conceptually, there are two types of firewalls: Network and Application
    But you can divide it in four sections. Network-Level Firewalls, Circuit-Level Firewalls, Application-Level Firewalls, Stateful Multi-level Firewalls... There are many firewall softwares available. I use the default one with operating system.
  7. balivillas

balivillas Moderator

By default, Windows user have their firewall enabled especially if they're using a shared network in a network hub like offices and internet shops.

If you're concerned that these OS firewalls might not be enough, you can install some known anti-virus that has better firewall capabilities for your PC.
  8. kiss

kiss New Member

Can you explain this to me further? Thank you in advance. :)
  9. adampinc

adampinc New Member

The information given about the types of firewalls with its explanation are very useful for both tech and non-tech students/persons.
  10. martincrow

martincrow Member

Really it is true that this post makes it easy for the students to learn some facts about the security software's which are used to protect data in our personal computers.
  11. haaiamerica

haaiamerica Guest

There are four types of firewall to serve you the best accessing:
    Network-Level Firewalls
    Circuit-Level Firewalls
    Application-Level Firewalls
    Stateful Multi-level Firewalls
  12. egrovesys

egrovesys Member

Types of Firewall:
    Network Layer firewall
    Application Layer firewall
    Proxy firewall
  13. Sarfuddin Nipun

Sarfuddin Nipun New Member

Firewall is mandatory when using VPN connection.Otherwise you may use it as an tool to prevent unauthorized activity.
    You use software firewall like built in firewall in windows or in any antivirus program.Or there are hardware firewall that comes within routers, switches or standalone type firewall.
  14. AnnexPaul

AnnexPaul Member

There are two types of firewall:
    1. Network Layer
    2. Application Layer
  15. Simion

Simion Member

Nice information. Thanks for sharing with us.
  16. rajdeep

rajdeep Member

First of all thanks for sharing your valuable suggestions with us.