1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Starting out in web design?

Discussion in 'Website Design' started by Tris, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Tris

Tris New Member

How did people here start out in web design? What tools did you use & resources to start with? For me personally, being only a very beginner at the moment, I've used free templates which I can then edit a bit to get what I want.

Interested to hear responses.:p
  2. Albert Tai

Albert Tai New Member

I use to do web designing a bit just use tutorial.
    It teaches you alot...teach yourself its the best way to learn.
    ~Al
  3. Jess

Jess Guest

I am not really into web designing but I used to do little designing work few years ago. I used to follow Photoshop tutorials and make cool effects :)

However I could never get much into designing because I didn't have much time available :(
  4. Dragonizer

Dragonizer Member

I started with a few books from the local library, and just use a notepad, I started on my Amiga 1200 so I did not have any good editing software. I also used w3schools for tutorials.

Now adays I just use templates on most of my sites its alot easier
  5. sayzlim

sayzlim New Member

I started web design a few months ago...
    =), quite new huh?

At first, I design purely with table by modifying the blogger template,
    after a certain amount of time, I begin to indulge myself in learning web design,
    all started by visiting smashingmagazine.com and read almost every material in there.

And so I practice creating my own template in wordpress using Photoshop and DW for coding. I do have some books web design related, and also read about layouting coz it'll help a lot when you sketching your template.
  6. phyza

phyza New Member

I do web designing and even designed a great cart website too for international client but i got a team of professional designers and developers for that so till now i am not into website designing myself but its a great part of my services :)
    Thanks
    PHYza
  7. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen New Member

I started from taking free templates and modifying them. Once I learned some HTML, I learned CSS, and tried making themes from scratch. Taking free themes and messing around is a great way to learn coding, and I still use snippets and tutorials to learn.
  8. Matt

Matt The Sexy Admin

I did the same as Sneaky, a bit of light modification work, cutting and pasting snippets here and there, works a treat to get you learning. Once you get used to the main things, you being to memorize the snippets which makes it easier as you gather more experience.
  9. imported_Chris

imported_Chris New Member

I started out using some software, and looking at other peoples work as examples. I just got inspiration from every design I looked at. And once you start to get the concepts down you'll find out just how easy it is. Free templates, designs and themes are a great way to get a feel for how things work on the back end.
  10. Kobe Augu

Kobe Augu New Member

First, be sure you're good at it. I know that sounds really critical, but there are a lot of people out there that enjoy designing websites and 'think' that they're good, but they aren't. Make sure you add value to the industry.Next, try getting business owners you know to hand over their website design requirements. Build one or two for little cost. You'll build references and a portfolio.
  11. Sneakyheathen

Sneakyheathen New Member

I think he's currently just trying to learn HOW to be a good designer. Selling his stuff might be a little advanced right now. ;)

Good tips tho. :D
  12. juanaballerina

juanaballerina New Member

this thread is useful for me, i guess everybody is get college for doing design, so i am wrong
  13. strauss01

strauss01 New Member

W3school is the best way of learning web design, as its tutorials are very easy to understand. You can even refer to books and other stuff.[-X
  14. cyberdesignz

cyberdesignz Member

At beginning you should follow as much tutorial as you can. then after each tutorial try to make little bit changes according to your desire. this will make you able to do something according to your own choice. The preferred tool for beginner is photoshop.
  15. andrenievo

andrenievo New Member

Try an online tutorial. I would recommend www.w3schools.com, this site is about web developing. When I was in college, I used photoshop and dreamweaver as my tools in designing my web project.
  16. Deutsched

Deutsched New Member

From the moment I've started till now, I've always used ready made templates, and made huge modifications on them
    Saves me much time from having to start from scratch, and doing the layout with all of its CSS work :D
  17. Carson

Carson New Member

Personally,at first,I was creating web pages using some tools for building the navigation menu,for example AllWebMenus.Then I started to study tutorials in order to teach myself write the code required for all this stuff that I was making automatically.
  18. logostomake

logostomake New Member

I started on watching tutorials and then I tried on making one myself. At first I was a total freak out of it but I didn't get discourage and make myself work on it more and more.
  19. JackRT

JackRT Member

Templates is a good start... you will learn a lot about coding if you dive into how the site was created etc. With a nice template, it's not going to be hard to create a custom site that looks fancy...
  20. kristipretty

kristipretty New Member

Web designing is a very creative work.first of you need to learn basic of web designing.