1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Solo or co-op?

Discussion in 'Planning Stages' started by ALEX, Sep 12, 2007.

?

So you start forums alone?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALEX

ALEX New Member

Would you start a forum by yourself or with someone else?

I would start a forum with one other person just so we could expand a lot more on ideas for the forum than I alone could. Plus, there is always someone who has my back when I miss something.
  2. Hayze

Hayze New Member

Partnership is better in my opinion for those reasons, plus you only have to do half the advertising, and half the posting you would have to do by yourself :)

But with a partner, you also cannot get any moderators for a while, so you don't overwhelm your members.
  3. SPEEDjammer

SPEEDjammer New Member

I start my forum on my own, and hire 2 or 3 other admins to help me.
  4. Hayze

Hayze New Member

I like it better if the only admins helped start it, since members can get malicious, and will have no problem destroying the forum, since they did not really help to develop it. Where as if you and another admin get into a fight, one admin won't destroy the forum because he helped to build it, hopefully he will have some dignity and not remove the other admin either, but you can never be too sure about that.
  5. deathwilldie

deathwilldie New Member

I need people to help me with forums. You just get more ideas if you do that. Also the forum is able to get done faster to be made.
  6. Hayze

Hayze New Member

Too many other admins is bad though too. It overwhelms your members, one, maybe two would be the most I would get to help me.
  7. deathwilldie

deathwilldie New Member

Yea I would only go with one admin. Two other ones is just to much I would think.
  8. Jura

Jura New Member

I start solo...?

There is this one Yahoo group I was thinking about starting a forum/site with. That'd be a co-owned community. Haven't contacted them, yet.
  9. Grenade

Grenade New Member

I start solo, sometimes. Only if i know nobody would like to admin with me.
  10. Hayze

Hayze New Member

Well do you ask around first? You can never know that no one would want to help unless you ask.
  11. Medora

Medora New Member

I started my only forum co-op. My fellow admin, "BlackStorm", who I promoted same day, was someone I had gotten to know for at least a month's time before I started my forum. He mostly took care of modifications, as I was not nearly as knowledgeable as him (and that's likely still the case, though the gap is not as large) dealing with phpBB code and database. He continued his work for several months before becoming inactive. I never demoted him until he returned, and I talked to him, and he informed me that, that would be best. After demoting him, I gave him the user title "Administrator Emeritus".

Several days after starting my forum, I promoted "Saint" and "Wooldridge", both people I have known for several years, and have had many conversations with and performed moderation duties alongside. These two continue to serve as administrators of equal power. As implied, my forum is run by a triumvirate administration, and it has been that way for much of this existence to this very day.

I chose to have fellow admins because I'm not always around, and I need people who can ban troublesome users if they show up to troll when I'm absent, and to help perform other important administrative duties, such as backing up the forum. Sure, I could simply make them a special class of administrator with the help of a modification, but why bother? They're my best friends on the internet, I've worked alongside them for years, and they're men of sure integrity. Also, one of them already hosts my forum on his server space. They've worked hard on the forum just as I have since it's founding, and continue to visit and post on a regular basis, and we're always in contact, having conversations on a regular basis. This is not the shaky triumvirate of Augustus, Lepidus, and Antonius; rather, we're very sure in our alliance.
  12. FP.CEO

FP.CEO New Member

I like to start a forum by myself.. simply because i will purchase domains and such and also i paid for my vBul lic... lol..

But if i'm approached to start a new board with someone if it interests me.. I say yeah no worries.. If it doesn't.. I say.. Feel free to put me there as a Ghost admin and i'll stop by.. but your site just doesn't interest me.

I like alot of OUTSIDE imput on things.. Not from people who think they can make something of someone elses.. Ie.. If i start a board with someone and don't like an idea they have.. if we disagree you can virtually call the whole forum gone!... So alot of "Outside" non admin-staff input is really important.. I have admins.. Just with no special rights.. Maybe access the template or a certain setting.. But no Forum/User/Optoins will ever be available to them.. Just in sheer fact that i don't want destruction as i have had this happen previously on one of my sites.. The person's name L*****N (* for a tiny bit of privace.. he no member here though!) decided it would be good to delete every post from my forums while i was away for the long weekend and left him in charge... When i came back.. The only post/topic left... Was my "Hidden" from HIM Family Board for my family to leave messages without having to send it to 4million people via hotmail!.. The best part about it was he was hosted on a site i am staff at.. He got his account removed (for other reasons) i followed his tracks over to another (Remains Completely Nameless) hosting company where he had a host already and had, just after he was deleted, made a post saying that I (the nameless one in his posts) had deleted his forums/posts... yet i was never admin on his site... n00b n00b n00b.. so i posted a link in my staff board and everyone had a good chuckle and said Good Riddance to Bad News!... And he was gone... He would pack dacks if he saw i had a .com.au domain and vBul... SHOULD HAVE STAYED ON MY SIDE MATE! lol

So from this.. I go gun ho by myself and hope for the best.. i have had 10 odd sites flop but with the purchase of vBul and some interesting marketing ideas (post for domains & other free domain comps) i think my new site will sit quite nicely!
  13. Chris

Chris New Member

I think it is fun to start a board by yourself, as you understand your own creative direction, and don't have to run through other people to get things done.

However, I have found in the past that starting with a staff has helped me get things underway more easily.

Mainly, it will come down to what the Administrator finds preferable, because both can be found to have their own pros and cons.
  14. Miss Miaow

Miss Miaow New Member

I have started the forum on my own but now I have a partner. He's more active then me so I really owe him a lot.
  15. Edwin

Edwin New Member

I would start alone and then branch out slowly.
  16. newbie

newbie New Member

No,i don't think solo is a good option! partnership is good as it divides the burden on a single person..
    More over its better to have 2 brains working than single!! :D
  17. Hayze

Hayze New Member

Wow, SIC, that's a bad experience you had. Hope that never happens to you again.
  18. Emathia

Emathia New Member

With one more person :)
  19. The General

The General New Member

I start them with someone else, but retain sole ownership of the site. It's nice to have someone to bounce ideas off, discuss things with, and help get the site of the ground; but that doesn't mean that they hold any claim to the board or anything related to it, the moment they're no longer admin, that's the moment they no longer have a say in running the site.

Simple, it's the way I like to have things run. If i'm the one holding all the strings, then i'm the only who can be responsible if something goes wrong.
  20. Edwin

Edwin New Member

Yeah, If I had no other choice I would take co-admin over root admin.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.