1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Should Forum Members Be Able To Edit/Delete Their Posts?

Discussion in 'Archived Feedback, Suggestions & Announcements' started by Sean101, Mar 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean101

Sean101 Member

Hey..
    I have a xbox forum & im not sure weither i should allow my members to be able to edit and/or delete their posts.
    What have you got set on your forum?
    Whats your thought on allowing editing & deleting posts by members?
  2. Jill Smith

Jill Smith Member

Yes I think forum member should have permission to edit or delete their own post.
  3. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Generally its a bad idea to allow people to delete their own posts, Purely because one day you could come to find your highest posting members have decided to delete their accounts/posts which would have terrible effects on your community not only visually but in search engines too.

Editing posts is also normally limited to 8 hours after the post has been made, Its more than enough time for a member to edit their post and correct it. You will find if you allow longer periods of time you will get members/bots signing up , posting a couple of posts and then coming back to them posts a month or so later and inserting links into the post which its likely you will never see.
    JPMiddleton likes this.
  4. Sean101

Sean101 Member

Currently i have it so my members cant edit or delete their posts.
    I have 2 groups on my forum "XLF Reviewers" & "Forum Welcomers". These members help out on the forum & they can edit & delete their posts. But im thinking about making it so no one can delete posts, but everything can edit them upto to 30 minutes after posting then no more.

As well as members being able to post allowed content, then go back a while later and change it to spam content.. I dont like the idea of a member posting a thread, then after getting replies to it, change it to say differant text to make it look as if the members replied on that instead of the thread which was there before the edit.

I also saw on a thread somewhere that its bad for your SEO if members can delete their posts. :p
    JPMiddleton likes this.
  5. che09

che09 Member

I think editing would be fine. But deleting? I don't think it will be a good idea.
  6. Sean101

Sean101 Member

Yes, Thats seems to be the general feedback im getting from people.
    (Never let members delete) (Limited editing time period for members)
  7. ceekeigh

ceekeigh Member

I agree on the part wherein members would be allowed to edit their posts but that should be within a specific period of time. But they should not be allowed to do deleting.
  8. JPMiddleton

JPMiddleton Active Member

It's probably a good idea to allow a period of time for editing to ensure that the tone of a thread isn't changed to win an argument ;)
  9. Bengie

Bengie Moderator Staff Member

I would agree with that, 12 hours for editing max but deleting - never.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.