1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Organizing a forum

Discussion in 'Forums' started by bellasmom, Jul 29, 2011.

1. bellasmom

bellasmom Member

The nature of a forum is that people keep coming to the site asking the same questions over and over again. Then you have people getting aggravated, telling them to do a search. But, the best solution would be a way to organize the threads on a sitemap or something along those lines to make search easier. Has anyone figured out a good way to do this?
  2. cyantera

cyantera New Member

One good idea I have in mind is to separate the Ask Questions sections and the Resolved Questions sections, though actually implementing it in a forum is something I don't know much of as I don't have much experience with forums just yet.
  3. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Thats kind of what the "similar threads" "related threads" and search function already does on a forum , if you wish to make them more visible then you can always install a modification which does a quick search for related threads prior to people submitting the comment , much like this one :

[Ajax] Check for similar thread before posting a new one - vBulletin.org Forum

The mod works very well and ive used it on a couple of my forums.
  4. elitebag

elitebag New Member

Yes ,it is big problem.If someone ask the same or similar questions ,the forum will show the words and tell the member to the links which have posted.
  5. ceekeigh

ceekeigh Member

Organizing a forum is a big work for mods and admins. So make sure that you have responsible mods or maybe a dedicated mod just doing organizing as it entails a lot of work.
  6. anupamsaha35

anupamsaha35 Member

Oh! It's a good place to put announcements, links to important information, and links to current discussion topics you'd like people to participate in. Put a link to the discussion in a "Hot Topics" area of the work group Home page, so people can quickly find the discussion topic.
  7. a4hire

a4hire Member

I think good moderators are the key, they will be the most useful in sorting out duplicate posts. Many of these kinds of posts are spammers or spam bots simply posting ireelevant questions and statements. Real good forum members will not just post any kind of sill questions or statements over and over again.
  8. alma mott

alma mott Member

I agree with you bellasmom, what is the purpose of joining the forum if they will suggest to check it out on google, for me its a matter a making your question valid and use of common sense.
  9. Alawi

Alawi Member

Forum sites will only plagued with spammers if there are no gladiator caliber of moderators that are strictly implementing the rules of the site.
  10. Olin Lamanna

Olin Lamanna Member

It is always best to do some research on what kind of forum platform to utilize before starting.