1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

My computer is moving like a turtle

Discussion in 'Computer & IT Forum' started by summerwilkins, Jul 8, 2011.

1. summerwilkins

summerwilkins New Member

I'm having a problem with my computer at home. Lately, it's been functioning really slow. I can't figure out why and what happened. My brother told me maybe because of overloaded saved files and applications in it. Is that true? Please let me know what steps might be done for this. Thanks in advance.
  2. xstortionist

xstortionist New Member

What kind of computer do you have? If it's a PC, I would suggest moving over to a mac. What's the specs on the computer as well?
  3. summerwilkins

summerwilkins New Member

Yes. I am using PC. I have a 512MB RAM and Hard drive(I don't know specifically how mus=ch it's capacity), There are also CD and DVD drives.
  4. xstortionist

xstortionist New Member

Summer,

I'd say your best bet is to just bite the bullet and get a new computer. 512kb of ram is just not going to cut, especially if you are running on a windows based computer. You probably have a ton of things running the background that you don't even know about. You should hit Control Alt Delete and go to your task manager and see how well your computer is performing. It will also show you what programs you have running the background and you can end processes from the task manager as well. Best of luck. Again I would suggest getting a Mac.
  5. summerwilkins

summerwilkins New Member

How much will it cause me for getting a MAC? Would I count on your words? :)
  6. xstortionist

xstortionist New Member

It would depend on what kind of Mac you would be getting. I purchased a used Powermac G5 for under $400, but it has a powerpc processor and most companies don't develop for PowerPC. You can get a newer Imac for under $1500 and you can get a refurbished MacMini for under $500.
  7. summerwilkins

summerwilkins New Member

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.
  8. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

lol, you cant recommend getting a new computer based on what has been said in this thread alone. Obviously your an apple fan xstortionist
    ? ;)

Summer, I would recommend running ccleaner ( free download ) which will clean out all the crap that has built up on your machine via browsers and installed applications etc, It will erase your browsing history , saved passwords etc ( unless you untick those boxes )

Once you have done that i would also recommend downloading Spybot search and distroy ( also free download ) update it and run a full system scan , if it picks anything up delete/fix/clean everything.

Restart your computer and see if that makes things better.

If you are running windows XP or below then 512mb of ram will run perfectly fine providing you are not bottlenecking the system with a huge graphics card and CPU , if you are running anything above XP then you will need to get more memory or at least decide whether it will be more cost affective to either get more RAM or get a new machine.

If you are running windows xp and the system is still slow let me know because there are some more tricks that i can share with you that will speed things up a bit more.
  9. rsseosolution

rsseosolution New Member

10. summerwilkins

summerwilkins New Member

I'll do these stuffs first. And I'll let you know what's the progress on my computer. Thanks a lot.
  11. eatcustard

eatcustard Member

You could add more ram to increase speed.

also run an anti virus check.

then sell it and but an intel based mac, as you can run it on windows as well as OSX, to get the best of both worlds.
  12. james billett

james billett Member

PC's are cheaper and you get more for your buck in terms of hardware and performance. Mac however is better designed against malware and will not turn to mush after a year. I'm a confident PC user so I don't mind dealing with the fuss that windows sends my way.
  13. neo127

neo127 Member

If you are interested in buying a new lappy than I would love to suggest you to go for Sony VAIO. They have the latest technology with great visuals. I'm suggesting to adhere to windows because mostly softwares and apps are available for Windows not for Mac. Also finding freeware for Mac is quite difficult task, so give a try to Sony VAIO. I am using it since three years and have quite good experience with it.
  14. iAssistant

iAssistant New Member

Yes, maybe it can be the problem. Try to defragment your computer
    Start>>Accessories>>System Tools>>Defragment Disk

15. pinkvinny

pinkvinny Member

Possible problem is it has a virus. Be sure that you have your own anti-virus. One thing also is to remove some files because it is possible too that your memory is full already.
  16. geraldsmith

geraldsmith Member

Having your memory loaded with files and other stuff can also affect your computer speed. To help you out you should delete all unnecessary files that is not needed. Also delete files from your temp folder. And defragmentation once in a month so that it will compress your memory with those files that you have been deleted. This way it can help your PC move fast.
  17. iamsam

iamsam New Member

I have also experienced similar problem before. Basically, the computer speed is affected by RAM and Processor installed in your system. 512Mb is fine if you are not installing programs which are looking for higher specs like games. It still run but it will make your system down and make the processing time longer.

I would suggest you uninstall unnecessary programs. Leave only necessary ones. Try to scan for possible malware and virus infections that may also slowing your system.

Your next option is to change the RAM. Upgrade it to 1Gb or 2Gb.
  18. alodia

alodia Member

THe following steps can be followed to make your computer faster..
    * Software Installation : Installing more and more software can make the computer slow down. The reasons for that are that installation of a software will make entries in registry and that is somewhat bad. The software may be running in the startup. The software will install various files on the computer and an overloaded hard disk makes the computer slow.
    * Free up disk space : Try to keep your hard disk space free. You’ll always notice that a computer with free space on hard disk will always run much faster than the one which is loaded with extra stuff.
    * Remove Unwanted Items From Startup : Well, if you’ll remove the unwanted softwares from the startup then your computer will boot up much faster and the memory (RAM) will also remain free and thus that will again result in better computing experience. I’ll suggest you to use free version of WinPatrol for this if you want you can buy the paid version and that is Winpatrol Plus as well. It is a very nice software and will help you a lot.
    * Run hard disk maintenance utilities : Always run the utilities like Disk Defragmentation or Disk checking utilities regularly, around once in 2 weeks.
    * Run Registry Cleaner : Right, this one is related to first tip. In case you’ve already installed and uninstalled various softwares before reading this tutorial then you can go ahead and run various registry cleaning softwares.
    * Keep your windows and security softwares up to date : Yes, updating the windows and keeping the security softwares will help you being safe from latest viruses and worms. Having a good anti-spyware is one of the good options.
  19. alantay

alantay New Member

One of the sure work method is to format your computer

If it is still slow, it means your computer is too old for 2011 ;)
  20. Mark Wang

Mark Wang Member

If you use many applications at the same time, you will need more RAM