1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Mistakes To Avoid When Using Web Templates

Discussion in 'Website Design' started by carieNET, Jan 22, 2009.

1. carieNET

carieNET New Member

Website templates are very affordable and they save you a lot of effort and time when you want to create a new layout for your website. However, a lot of people make mistakes in the process of choosing and using a web template and end up with something that was unlike the image they had in mind. Here are some guidelines to help you avoid those mistakes.

The first obvious mistake you should be aware of is using a template that is very popular. If many people use the same template, your website will not appear unique at all and your credibility as a solid, different website will be tarnished. In other words, you will appear generic just like your next-door neighbours.

To whole point of using a web template is to save time and effort. You just change the title and appropriate details and you're done. The biggest mistake one makes is to customize the template beyond recognisation. While that may be good in the sense that you're creating a unique graphic, you're defying the very purpose of using a web template -- saving time and effort.

However, on the opposite side, if a template you purchase is suitable but some changes must be made to suit your site's theme, then you will have to take some time to make the changes. For example, you can find a very nice template that suits your hobby site except the original designer has put an image of stamps in the header. You can find images of garden plants and spades to replace the stamps for your gardening hobby site. However, do only make the necessary changes and don't redesign the whole template.

In some circumstances, some people simply make the wrong choice of templates. This is a very subjective issue but you have to be careful in selecting templates to suit your audience. Do not choose templates just because they are pretty, choose them because they serve your purpose.
  2. jani

jani Designer

You have raised a very nice point carie, web templates are only to save your time that you may spend on finding a designer, telling him the details, getting the site coded and so on. But as you said when you buy a template you should see if it is really going to present your business or not.

I would also add that in my opinion templates are not made to get your website online "Overnight". Even if you buy a template you might need to do some changes in it because it was not really designed for "Your" business, so every template must need some changes in it. You should do all those things first and then launch your site.
  3. Tox

Tox New Member

I agree with you Jani, templates sure are a good option but some times its really hard to find what you really need, in my personal opinion I prefer to hire a designer and do the job exactly the way I want and need, but in the other hand if you really dont need something very specific there sure are plenty of options to chose from.
  4. shzeb

shzeb New Member

there are also lot of free templates available and any one who just started a new site cant afford to pay a graphic designer or buy a template can also make use of free templates
    and later can buy a template or hire a graphic designer when the site starts earning
  5. Kobe Augu

Kobe Augu New Member

The first obvious mistake you should be aware of is using a template that is very popular. If many people use the same template, your website will not appear unique at all and your credibility as a solid, different website will be tarnished. In other words, you will appear generic just like your next-door neighbours.
  6. Sherry

Sherry New Member

Nice write up. Thank you very much for the whole information. It helped me a lot. I was little bit aware about it but your post gave me clear idea.
  7. aditd

aditd Member

Good info. Thanks for sharing that with us.