1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Lots Of New Members From The Same IP Address

Discussion in 'Member Management' started by Sean101, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Sean101

Sean101 Member

Recently i have been noticing alot of new members signing up to my forum fromthe same IP Address.
    These members all have a 0 Post Count, which is the confusing part. Why would a person sign up to my forum multiple times with differant email addresses & differant username but not post?
    Its not to spam my post because theyve made no posts & also.. By looking at the websites they have entered into there profile, they do even speak the same language as my forum.
  2. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

They are spam bots Sean, Bots specifically designed to spam forum profiles . These accounts are often left for a month or two and then used to spam further down the line to escape some forums time restrictions .

Xrumer, Sick marketing and Senuke are all possible causes.

What forum script are you using ? There are lots of things you can do to prevent such actions from happening .
  3. Sean101

Sean101 Member

I first started my xbox forum using FreeForums.org..
    But it was pretty restristed as far as gettig the forum looing the way i wanted & adding extra stuff to it.
    So last week i removed my forum from the freeforums hosting & it is now on host gater.
    My software is phpBB.

Since i posted this topic iv had more signing up.
    When i posted this, I was at 87 members.
    Im now at 93 members & the new members are also all bots then i would imagine.
    I also noticed since yesterday, one of them has been posting.
    These 3 new posts from them on my forum are here..
    http://www.xboxlivefan.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=432
    http://www.xboxlivefan.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=431
    http://www.xboxlivefan.org/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=430

I never noticed this problem untill i changed to my own hosting.

Also..
    I thought the "Picture Question" on registration was to help prevent this.
    :p :S
  4. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

I havent played with phpBB for many years to be honest but i would look at improving the registration process ,:

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/modifications/anti-spam-9/

Look for modifications or settings in phpbb which allows you to add a random question , bots can read captcha's but they cant read human questions and answers.

You might want to see if there is any modifications to make your external links nofollow and to hide user profile information from search engines as they are not really needed.
    Sean101 likes this.
  5. Sean101

Sean101 Member

Yes, There is an option already there to add my own questions & answers for users that are registering intead of the captcha picture. I just kept the picture instead of the question & answer because i thought both were just as effective as each other. Thanks! Ill change that just now.

I just checked the source code of one of my topics & looked at the signature in it.
    Yes, the links are not "nofollow". They used to be "nofollow" when i was on freeforums, but there not now as i can see. I will also check for an option to change that just now. Thanks!

So, If i..
    Delete these members that have signed up already & Change the captcha image to question/answer..
    Will i stop getting these fake accounts on my forum?
  6. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

It will certainly help , i would recommend looking around the phpbb forums as to what other people are doing to keep bots out, as i say i havent used phpbb for many years so im not a great deal of help apart from what ive told you which is pretty generic across forums.

Other things you might want to try is also adding some of your custom fields on registration as mandatory or create a field which is mandatory like favourite game etc etc

Something they HAVE to answer to gain access. Bots can not figure those kind of fields out half the time.
  7. Sean101

Sean101 Member

Yes, I have..
    - Fav Game 1
    - Fav Game 2
    - Fav Game 3
    - Worst Game
    - Console
    - Accessory
    (All are mandatory)

The answers these accounts are giving are like this..
    - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    - ssssssssssssssssssss
    - sdfosafnslvbsav
    - oainvaonvdov

Thats why i thought i was actual people signing up to spam rather than bots doing it.
    Another one has just signed up again there, lol.

Ok, Thanks for the help.
    Im looking around on the phpBB.com mods area to see what else is there. :p

PS: Just another question.. :p
    I know you said uve not use phpBB in a good while, but do you know why search engine bots show up in "Registered Users" at the bottom of my home page. Bot on my forum have "Read" & "See" access to my forums only, so they show be no more than guests.
  8. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Some forums have spider legends so they can see when a spider is on the site , pretty pointless to be honest and there is most likely a setting to switch it off. Bots will only see what guests can see.
    Sean101 likes this.
  9. Sean101

Sean101 Member

Ok.
    Cheers for the help n that :D