1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Little tip to get members return to the forum

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by jani, Oct 4, 2009.

1. jani

jani Designer

To keep any forum active it is necessary that the members should keep coming back to the forum. Visitors or guests are good but they will read only what the members have posted and to keep the members coming back to the forum here is my little tip. This tip has two parts

1. Admin should set the subscription method as "Always subscribe to threads". This way whenever a member posts a new topic he will automatically be subscribed to that thread and as soon as his topic gets a reply he will get notification email.

2. Normally vBulletin notification emails look like this

These are not good for forums because the user can read the reply right from the email and does not bother to come back to the forum.

In order to get him back to the forum you must force the user to visit to read the reply.

You should set the email to look like this

Now the user will have to click on the link to come to the forum and read the reply :)

You might have noticed I have already done this setting on WG :)
  2. steve

steve Guest

Very well said :)

And yes, I noticed the notification emails are different now, nice tip :)
  3. MayaLocke

MayaLocke New Member

I think the best thing you can do to get people to return to a forum is to offer RSS feeds of the posts, it makes following the forum much easier!
  4. jani

jani Designer

RSS feed is already there but not many people use RSS feeds, specially for forums.

The tip I shared here works more accurate because it will send notifications to only those threads users are subscribed in unlike RSS feed who sends notification for ALL threads.
  5. Sherry

Sherry New Member

Nice tip. I noticed all your important points. It helped me a lot. I was little bit aware about it but your post gave me clear idea.