1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Kick starting a forum

Discussion in 'Forums' started by gkd, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midlandi

midlandi Can you smell that?

Its not always great posts,strangely, that attract alot of posting.
    Looking back we have had some great members here that have posted super topic starters that have never received a reply, yet some ubjects that you would think dont deserve a reply can start very long threads?
    So there is no telling sometimes???
  2. Mega B

Mega B Member

Our Free Ads Forum has been running about 4 weeks and initially was very slow to start but we have been using seed posts as well as our script that we bought a few weeks back that does the auto posts for us and we are starting at last to get people posting and this is starting to look good.

The Forum has been setup for like minded Business People and Entrepreneur to Promote their Websites/Products/Services/Forums and Blogs Free of Charge.

Yes Forums can be hard work and some flourish and some just dont make it after all the hard work the webmaster has put into the site.
  3. DeliciousNames

DeliciousNames New Member

I visited your site and the purpose of the forum is good providing free service for promotion of sites , products etc...
  4. petcarseat

petcarseat New Member

5. hitman

hitman New Member

ok guys, had i had time i could of made the posts look real but..

Webmaster Forum • Index page

used blackhat software called " forum gernerator"

guess nobody will be hiring posters or self posting anymore lol

edit: why does the anchor text say webmaster forum AND BULL?

lol
  6. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Because that's what your forum is out putting as its Anchor text , ive seen this on quite a few phpbb forums with vbSEO forums , ive deleted it for you bud
  7. gkd

gkd Active Member

You forgot to delete the word from his post :):

The word Bull still appears in the anchor text. See hitmans post
  8. Traffiker

Traffiker New Member

you might try doing banner advertising on websites with good traffic that don't charge too much.
  9. Humza Bajwa

Humza Bajwa Active Member

Give visitors an incentive to join. Make contests/give free stuff to people who join in the early stages.
  10. gray09

gray09 New Member

Advertise your forum and have someone post for you is a good start, paying for posts though is not the right way to build a community.
  11. Humza Bajwa

Humza Bajwa Active Member

Paying for posts is the worst idea. You'll only be wasting money. Sure, a few visitors will join, and once you stop paying the posters, you'll lose all your traffic. The only way to actually kick start a forum by paying posters costs hundreds of dollars. Make posts yourself, it'll take longer, but in the end, you'll get more visitors.
  12. Unseen Network

Unseen Network New Member

When you start to make a new forum, firstly get some friends to post on it, once you have a few hundred posts go to forums like it, i.e. if you making a webmaster forum, go to DP or here :O And make a few posts about your forum asking what people think about it - don't do full on advertising though, like join my site etc... And if people are interested they will join it.

Josh
  13. Red Paul

Red Paul New Member

Starting a forum ain't easy. I gave myself a year to get my guitar collector's forum to the self-sufficient stage, and 9 months in, it isn't there yet. Nobody likes to admit to posting under multiple identities, but it's the only way in the early days, especially for a niche forum like mine... you want quality posts and not just one-line rubbish. (no offence! lol!! :D ). Be patient, and think of your time spent building it as a long-term investment.
  14. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Haha i done exactly the same thing with my Tottenham forum when i first started it a couple of years ago. , i told the lads on the site a couple of weeks ago ( the ones that have been there since day one with me ) and we all had a laugh about it , they thought that the 3 people they were chatting with were all genuine, Pretty safe to say it runs its self and i havent really posted actively there for around 16 months.
  15. mem700x

mem700x New Member

any suggestions on how i can get my dead forum going?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.