1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Joomla or WP

Discussion in 'General Programming' started by midlandi, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midlandi

midlandi Can you smell that?

I see alot of sites(including triphp) are using Joomla now.
    Tell me is this a better option or just an alternative, what are the benefits of each?
    Is it easy to switch site from WP to Joomla?
    Is it easy to edit themes etc?
    Are there any sites offering support for Joomla.
  2. aleserlee

aleserlee New Member

Joomla is good open source CMS tool to build website.
  3. midlandi

I know that:~

I was looking for a little more detailed answer.
  4. proweb

proweb Well-Known Member

I'm a Joomla developer, and certainly I will recommend you to use Joomla.
    I started with Joomla and I like it very much. I also tried WP to see witch is more suitable for me. Well Joomla was the right choice.

If you want a simple website or a blog, you can use WP. When you are going to develop a powerful website, witch have different custom pages, or want to build a membership website or an ecommerce website, you should use Joomla.

Joomla is easy to use after you understand how it's work. You can also manage the templates and the extensions very easy.

It's not so hard to convert WP website into Joomla website, it is only about time.
    If you need support, you can use the joomla forum or can contact joomla experts for dedicated support. I also can help you.

If you choose Joomla, I can say that you have made a very smart step.
    2 people like this.
  5. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Generally i use Joomla for more static sites or sites that contain some kind of e-commerce ( because of Joomla's free e-commerce mod ) or a site much like the triphp one which really is a full content management system , everything is configurable on each page and every module is flexible on each page, some thing that isnt as easy on wordpress.

The i use Wordpress for blogs, gallery sites etc mainly but i am using wordpress alot more than i used too, i was a Joomla junkie for quite some time .
    1 person likes this.
  6. midlandi

Thanks for that, so basically use WP for simple Blog and Joomla for full blown site.
    I must try Joomla soon as I have a few big projects coming up.
  7. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

I wouldn't necessarily say that to be honest , wordpress is very flexible too it really depends on what the developer is more comfortable with , I would however recommend spending a number of hours with Joomla, At first i bet you dont like it lol. I didnt , infact i found it incredibly confusing but after throwing it away about a month later i found a good use for it and slowly started to get used to how it works. Once you know what its capable of thats the best time to really compare differences between what you can and cant do with each Wordpress and Joomla
  8. Zoli

Zoli New Member

I suppose wordpress is more light weighted software while Joomla is very robust. I doupt that Joomla would have better plugins, themes or support. In my eyes it is only an old dinosaur which is very complicated to manage for a newbie. Also very important that customizating the operation/coding of WP is much easier. And script kiddies still prefer attacking joomla sites.
  9. Humza Bajwa

Humza Bajwa Active Member

That's exactly what happened to me :p. And, I'm really glad that you, proweb, and goldy directed me to Joomla. I was sooo lost while using it, I started freaking out lol (I made my first ever "legit" site with Joomla). I'm trying wordpress a little, but I really like Joomla compared to Wordpress (that's probably because I don't have much experience with WordPress yet, but I've been told, "if you can use Joomla, you can use any CMS").

Basically, the three main opensource CMSs that people use are WP, Joomla, and Drupal. WordPress was created to be used with blogs, therefore, it would defeat the purpose if you were using WP without a blog. Joomla can basically be used with more things than WP, but is not as 'powerful' as Drupal. Drupal's community and developers try to encourage people who are using Drupal to play around with coding, etc.

So, it really depends on how experienced you are, and what you're looking to do (I'm sure you're not lacking much experience).

In order of flexibility:
    1) Wordpress - Simple, easy to use CMS mainly used with blogs.

2) Joomla - Flexible, advanced CMS. Perfect for beginners with knowledge or who are able to get help for questions they need (My case was the latter one).

3) Drupal - Highly advanced CMS, mostly used by experienced professionals who are able to "code with their eyes closed."

Let me know what you stick with and why you did :).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.