1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Is XenForo really that great?

Discussion in 'Forum Software' started by Jerlene, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene Moderator Staff Member

People went crazy for vBulletin when it came out and now people are going crazy for XenForo. It's clean and simple but is it really that great? Would you pay for this paid software or just stick to free ones like MyBB? Is the price worth the software in your opinion? Why or why not?
  2. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

I personally took the jump when it came out and in many ways i wish i had never converted from vbulletin. Would i consider starting a new site with it ? Maybe yes depending on the type of site it was and my requirements. Would i convert any of my other vbulletin forums to Xenforo......absolutely not.
  3. Jerlene

Really? I'm a vBulletin fan and have never converted any of my forums to XenForo so I haven't seen the backend of it. What are some major differences?
  4. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

For me really it was permission based and modification based , i.e things i could previously do in VB i no longer can. Im a huge vbulletin fan though and xenforo is the closest thing to another script which i actually like and would consider starting a new forum with. IPB on the other hand is horrible and i wouldnt even consider it again
  5. immediate

immediate Member

For me, XenForo looks very amateur forum software at first glance. Not sure why some people go for it. Some say they are the original vBulletin team but apparently they still need a few years to catch up.
  6. Jerlene

I agree about IPB. I ran a few forums using IPB and I wish I never wasted my time and money on it.
  7. BigBigFan

BigBigFan New Member

I don't see a benefit to going with a paid option once you know how to properly code projects on your own. That, unfortunately, means that paid forum software is the best option for many people because a lot of help will be needed in making changes.

I know phpbb3 forum code like the back of my hand, much like I do wordpress, and the very idea of paying someone to use forum or blog software that is inferior to what I am using is silly. Xenforo does a lot of things right, including the nice urls you see on this forum, that free options don't so it all depends, how proficient a coder are you and is it worth saving $100+ a year to work with a free alternative?
  8. OrangeBanana

OrangeBanana New Member

I haven't had the chance to deploy an XenForo installation, but I've been a user on quite a few forums and I love the user aspect to it. I've also briefly played around with their demo they provide on the website and it seems rather nice.

I'm used to administrating MyBB and Vanilla, so I tend to stick to those when I need forum software. It has the added bonus of being free, too. :D
  9. etc

etc New Member

I haven't tried xenforo yet since I feel like mybb can also do what it can. so I stick to Mybb the fact that its free and it can be customize in anyway. The only great I've notice so far as a member in xenforo forums is that they do have alert system above which will tell that someone has replied to the thread I once participated.