1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Is it possible for anyone to register a domain name forever?

Discussion in 'Domain Name Forum' started by goodone, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodone

goodone New Member

I know that most people register a domain name for a year. I've seen websites that offer a ten year registration, I've even seen companies which state that as long as you are a paid member of their company your domain name will always be active.

But is it possible to register a domain name not for 2yrs, not for 5yrs, not for 10years but forever?? You know a domain name that you can keep in your family, something that you can pass down to children and maybe even to your grandchildren?

What do you guys think? Does anyone here has the facts about these things?
  2. jumpenjuhosaphat

jumpenjuhosaphat New Member

No, it is only possible to register a domain name for up to 10 years.
  3. AcesHigh

AcesHigh New Member

lol your the first person that ive heard of that wants to pass down a domain name in the family..

you can just see it when they read out your will.
    ok marge you get $15,000
    lisa you get the 2 cars
    bart you get a domain name :laugh:
  4. ST-Mike

ST-Mike TriPHP Contributor

Haha, passing a domain down through the family :p Life is getting technical :D

I assume if the company is saying that the domain will remain active as long as you're a member that they will simply keep registering further years for you, as you continue to pay as a member! Though they are unlikely to be able to guarantee you will always have that name.
  5. AcesHigh

AcesHigh New Member

maybe if it was google or something like that it would be a bit more understandable to pass it on
  6. CyberDude

CyberDude New Member

You cannot register a domain for lifetime. But, even you do it, there is no guarantee that the Registrar will stay lifetime. He may fly away at anytime and you will loose everything.
  7. FlameFalcon

FlameFalcon New Member

Me and my buddy will be selling domain names soon, maybe it will be a good idea to offer a lifetime registration of one. =D

www.elitex-services.co.uk
  8. Hostnetric

Hostnetric New Member

Actually you are wrong about this. At least what happens if a registrar fails.

If a domain registrar fails their accounts are assigned by ICANN to another registrar. A case of this was the domains taken over by GoDaddy when Registerfly failed. Also any site selling domains is an affiliate of an accredited Registrar and if they fail the domains that they have sold are moved to the host company or one of its affiliates to be managed.
  9. ST-Mike

ST-Mike TriPHP Contributor

Then again what if someone falls for some small business (usually ran by younger ****agers) without a clue and that business is in fact registering the domains on behalf of the customer but it's technically in their name? It may be breaking some regulations somewhere but usually it would be hard to get it back in that case... perhaps if you could prove it was registered on behalf of you, but regardless it's actually registered to the business ? Of course this doesn't happen with any "real" provider, but if somebody falls for some smalltime provider.. you know, because there are absolutely thousands of providers, most coming and going - ran by idiots.
  10. Hostnetric

Hostnetric New Member

I would agree with your outlook on this, but we hope that people are investigating who they are doing business with. Unfortunately as we both know this does not always happen.

Another thing I would add to this is to never buy hosting where they purchase your domain name for you under their name. To many things can wrong with this scenario as well.

Also there are many sites selling domains, but many are simply resellers of Enom, GoDaddy and others and these particular providers have built in systems to prevent fraud.

Best advice is to visit sites dedicated to reviews of hosting and domain providers such as webhostingtalk and others to see what people think of these providers.
  11. riazishere

riazishere New Member

my son is 6 years old. i want to register a domain in his name (which is luckily available at present). can you please tell me seller which can offer the domain for at least 12 years.
  12. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

ive never seen a 12 year reg to be honest , alot of the major companys allow 10 year registrations, I personally wouldnt register a domain for that long with a little company , if that company decides not to run any more it could be difficult to get your domain back
  13. goldyweb

goldyweb Member

I know what you are really thinking. Going through a few hosting companies, the "Free Domain forever" scheme is given to the users. This scheme is actually only until the time they are their customer and is named registered under the name of that hosting company. This makes it their own domain and as the customer leaves the hosting, he doesn't take away the domain with him. He has to stay with that hosting company to attain the domain or buy it off the hosting company and transfer it over somewhere.

Also, there are some companies who really say that the domains are for life, but it only stays until they get the grants for other companies or have a source of money.

Well, considering the facts, i would say, there is nothing like a free lifetime domain. It is just a method to attract users.
  14. dwiads

dwiads New Member

well in my opinion, If you want to have website for life, you better build good business. You could transfer your business to your children one day and of course include the domain name.
  15. rowenalee

rowenalee New Member

Of course its impossible.!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.