1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Internet Explorer 7 - what's the deal?

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Discussion' started by midlandi, Jan 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midlandi

midlandi Can you smell that?

As most of you probably know...IE7 was released on Oct 18th of 2006. It is delivered as a forced update that comes in through your windows updater. Why is this update significant? Internet Explorer has had a history of poor CSS support and poor compliance with W3C standards, meaning that in order to achieve some CSS effects it was necessary to implement 'hacks' that would not pass validation with the W3C. It was long anticipated that a new version of this browser would address many of these issues. While the Microsoft developers network (MSDN) states that they have implemented a lot of fixes and new feature support, they admit that IE7 still does not provide complete compliance. One of the problems of making so many changes to this browser is that now pages that worked in IE6 are broken in IE7. We are going to discuss the changes to IE7, how to transition your pages from IE6 to IE7 and a few other bits and bobs .

What is different in IE7?

MSDN states that there have been over 200 changes released with this version of their browser including fixes and new features.

The following bugs have been addressed:
    Peekaboo Bug
    Internet Explorer and Expanding Box Problem
    Quirky Percentages
    Line-height bug
    Border Chaos
    Disappearing List-Background bug
    Guillotine Bug
    Unscrollable Content bug
    Duplicate Characters Bug
    IE and Italics
    Doubled Float-Margin bug
    Duplicate Indent bug
    Three pixel text jog
    Creeping Text bug
    Missing First letter bug
    Phantom box bug

To view more specific details on these bugs visit the MSDN blog at: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/08/22/712830.aspx

You will also find a comprehensive list of other bug fixes, new implementations, and features from CSS2.1.
  2. temi

temi New Member

I really do not like IE7 much (I dislike people moving the furniture around :( what I particularly dislike about it is move all the controls I am familiar with to other parts of the screen and I have to keep searching for the home button for example.

After using it for a few weeks, I got used to it and getting to like it especially the tab browsing feature. Saves you having to open many windows. The down side however is the fact that when you close one tab you are forced to close IE completely, there should be a way to close just one tab.
  3. midlandi

midlandi Can you smell that?

Ive not tried it yet,by the sounds of what i hear i think i will stick with Firefox.
  4. uksharon

uksharon Member Relations Manager

i use Internet Explorer 7
    and i dont really have any issues with it well not yet
  5. hashen27

hashen27 New Member

I hate it. I've always hated IE, Its feel is just horrible.

Firefox is the way to go peoples! Or even any other browser like Opera just take your pick. Everyones different, but just not IE lol.
  6. Disguised

Disguised New Member

I never usesd IE7, I don't hate IE and still use IE 6 sometimes. But I think I should atleast try IE7 so that I can post something about it too :)
  7. jumpenjuhosaphat

jumpenjuhosaphat New Member

I've noticed issues with IE7 when uploading files to the internet. They fixed a few of the previous versions CSS non-compliance bugs....but they added in default security settings that are just rediculous. MS needs to get on the ball and stop trying to make proprietary software. It pisses of web developers, and makes us push Firefox that much harder. How long do they think that it's going to take the average surfer to realize the reasoning behind 80% of the worlds web developers using Firefox? Until IE get's their shit straight, I'll continue to push Firefox.
  8. Brennan

Brennan New Member

When it was in Beta stage I downloaded it and found a few problems so got rid of it and now it's been released I haven't bothered to get it nor Vista but I probably will soon and funny enough I just read how Microsoft have already started discussion about IE8
  9. jumpenjuhosaphat

jumpenjuhosaphat New Member

I hope they are discussing IE8, and I hope they get a little closer to compliant and ease of use at the same time.
  10. jacobphilip12

jacobphilip12 New Member

I hate using IE as much as i hate microsoft
  11. micheal009889

micheal009889 New Member

I dont like IE .Firefox rules
  12. patrick1gates

patrick1gates New Member

Looking nice.ok i will download it .
  13. njoker555

njoker555 New Member

im still using IE6 right now lol, i use opera more than ie and firefox, firefox i dont touch much cuz it still has a few bugs that bug me lol :) but i did use ie7, its safer and better than ie6
  14. patrick1gates

patrick1gates New Member

Hi

I am using IE ,the older version and its working fine with me .Lets see whats the latest version bring to us.
  15. aaronmorrie

aaronmorrie New Member

yaa i downloaded the latest version of IE 7 ,its working fine with me.You should also try it .
  16. kevinray132

kevinray132 New Member

do not like IE7 much (I dislike people moving the furniture around what I particularly dislike about it is move all the controls I am familiar with to other parts of the screen and I have to keep searching for the home button for example.

After using it for a few weeks, I got used to it and getting to like it especially the tab browsing feature.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.