1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

I need some help and maybe you can offer some advice about my WordPress site..

Discussion in 'Forums' started by Xarzu, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Xarzu

Xarzu New Member

I need some help and maybe you can offer some advice about my WordPress site..

I get a lot of spam from spambots and spam from people looking to register on my forum/blog for the obvious purpose of spamming on my site. I have a registration page with one of those CAPTCHA input items and I also have a form where they have to agree to conditions in order to proceed. But these things does not stop me from getting email from people "requesting a username".

I think all the things that I have put on my registration page does not matter if a "_POST" message is sent to the php through the URL address. Is this right? What can I do?
  2. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

If your running the captcha thing called "ReCaptcha" then you need to use something else, It was recently targetted by a spamming group and they managed to "hack" (very loose term) system and now thousands of spam bots are attacking forums running it.

So far the best way to get around this is to use the simple "questions and answers" method , if you are running vbulletin then its built in and you can access it by going to "human verification settings" , make sure the question is specific to your niche and is easily google'able so real people can see the answer if they dont know it , but still difficult enough that it isnt an easy guess for the bot like , "write google backwards" etc , I always try and make the answers a number rather than letters, Have at least 4 questions setup.

Ive tested every mod , every way of keeping these bots out and that is by far the most simple and effective way.
  3. Suresh

Suresh New Member

Could you please brief us your website theme and if possible share URL so that we can help you in better way...
  4. Olin Lamanna

Olin Lamanna Member

I think you need to use another anti spam verification. Like using pictures instead or answering random questions.
  5. Alawi

Alawi Member

There is a captcha which gives a type of filter that provides a set of images in which you will choose the closest answer. For the spammers you need to have a moderator to filter the forum sites.
  6. johnniewalk

johnniewalk Member

To avoid the spammers it is better to implement an email id or main ip address tracker because it helps to avoid lot of spammers once they post you should review the post weather the post is spam or it is good, in case the post is spam then you should delete there account in your database.