1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

How much memory do you really need?

Discussion in 'Computer & IT Forum' started by ~kev~, Sep 20, 2010.

1. ~kev~

~kev~ Active Member

From time to time I see people bragging that they have 6 gigs of memory, or even 8 gigs. But out of that 6 or 8 gigs, how much do you "really" use?

My home computer is a gaming machine - I'am running 32-bit windows xp, and 3 gigs of memory. Of that 3 gigs, I probably have 1.5 gigs free at all times. Even when I'am playing left 4 dead 2,,,,, or any other game. I can have task manager running in the background, alt-tab out of the game and look at memory and CPU usage. Out of 4 cores, all 4 only only being used about 50% and I still have about 1.5 - 1.8 gigs free memory. There are times when I might get down to 1.2 gigs free, but that is rare.

Even when I'am editing a video for youtube, I still have 1.5 - 2 gigs free memory.

How much memory does your system have, what do you use it for, and how much free memory do you have under a load?
  2. donm1

donm1 New Member

I have 4gigs, and only use mine for business type stuff. No games. Under a load, I have about half available. Sometimes less, if I really have a bunch of stuff running.
  3. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Im the same , 4GB Sony Laptop with a high end graphics card , because its totally for business however i will have photoshop , dreamweaver , word, outlook, Firefox with around 8 tabs open , MSN , filezilla and a couple of Stats tracking programs open all at once nearly all day. It manages just fine but i do find that sometimes it does need that extra 2 or 4GB just to have that extra kick , especially when photoshop has upto 10 images open it does start to struggle a little. Time for an upgrade next month anyway.
  4. happy4u

happy4u Member

its depends on the use of user
  5. jayrudalf

jayrudalf New Member

For me I need at least 180 GB hard disk.
  6. che09

che09 Member

It really depends,as for me 4GB will do. Other would like to have a huge memory,because of their kind of work or hobbies,such as those downloading games or stuff.
  7. balivillas

balivillas Moderator

True enough, most standard PCs don't really need a high RAM. Mine has 2 Gig at 3.1 Ghz Processor and still can maximized efficiently what my PC could give.
    Although if you use higher Video Card and Graphic supports, you need at least 3 to 4 gig RAM to make it all fully working for your HIGH def softwares and games.
  8. rvitgroup

rvitgroup New Member

This is depands on your requirements if you are using heavy software like auto cad, photoshop or some cad software's then for consistent performance you should increase your RAM. Window XP can be run properly in 32MB RAM . But this is recommended that you PC have large RAM .
  9. nullifygirls

nullifygirls Member

I don't determine any number because it is depend system hard diver and your using.
  10. eUKhost

eUKhost Official Company Representative

Well, usually 8 GB, 12 GB and 16 GB RAM are used in the web servers. But, however most of the times such huge RAM are required in a home computer system as well, if it is going to be used just for gaming purpose.
  11. gogreen

gogreen New Member

4GB is the minimum requirement RAM in Home pc's :)
  12. happy4u

happy4u Member

i need only 40 gb hard disk becouse i am not a big downloader
  13. Fleigermail

Fleigermail New Member

It really does depend on what you're doing with your computer. If you're just doing some light MS Office stuff, plus email and web browsing, you can get by fairly easily with 2 GB. If you do more processor intensive things like serious gaming, photo or video editing, music production, etc., you'll need more. But be aware that your operating system is theoretically limited to using 4 GB if it's 32-bit. More recent systems (both for Windows 7 and Mac OSX) are capable of running in 64-bit mode. This allows more memory to be used and you can load much more RAM in your machine.
  14. neo127

neo127 Member

For me, it is sufficient 4gigs as I mostly use "my" PC for playing high end games. Other than games I use it for surfing in which I usually use 8-10 tabs in a browser. So IMO it is sufficient for me to have 4GB memory.
  15. prime logos

prime logos New Member

Not more than 2 gigs for me...........
  16. alodia

alodia Member

depending on what's your purpose in buying a memory.. is it for gaming or for work or for general purpose
  17. Mark Wang

Mark Wang Member

If you can offer, the bigger RAM the better performance it will have
  18. devileye

devileye Active Member

it is really depends on the type of works that a person do.collecting movie is my hobby.for that purposes i need much memory.sill i have 500 GB HDD and 3GB RAM.
  19. martincrow

martincrow Member

I have a dual core CPU and it have only 80 GB harddisk, but there is not any problem, it is enough for my work. and don't thing i need to increase my system's memory.
  20. raghunand

raghunand Member

I too having the 4 gigs for memory in my PC. It is more than enough for me.