1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

How do I figure out what a domain is worth?

Discussion in 'Domain Name Forum' started by BigBigFan, Nov 6, 2012.

1. BigBigFan

BigBigFan New Member

My brother was offered a small amount for a domain he owns which is related to a rock band. There is no website attached, it's just the domain, and he can't help but feel that if someone is taking the time to make an offer that they just might want it a whole lot more than they are offering.

- Something is ALWAYS only worth what someone is willing to pay

Negotiating tactics - If you receive a low offer, such as $100, how do you respond? how much do you counter with? Do you simply say no and hope they come back with a higher offer? If you're a domain seller I'd love to hear your opinions on getting the most out of a domain name that you don't intend on building out.
  2. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Generally if i receive an offer via email for something that isnt listed for sale you can nearly always assume they will pay over the odds to get it . I normally have a bit of discussion with them , google their email address and find connections to who they are before talking serious money. When you know who you are dealing with you can judge the market alot better.

Having said that there are alot of top organisations which create a new email address purely to email that one person so they cant find out who they are, when that happens and they are not transparent i usually play hardball and throw in an inflated price to what i would normally accept. I like to know who im selling....

There are a number of statistical factors which play when selling a domain but if it is just a matter of someone wanting it for a brand, because they like the sound etc its basically what you can get for it.

If you look on Sedo auctions, look at the types that are going for big money, medium money, small amounts and then less than the reg fee. You'll soon see what people value and what they dont.

I once sold a crappy domain which i thought was terrible 6 letter .com , it didnt really mean anything but this business popped up which saw it as an investment and i got a nice 4 figure sum for it, i valued it as registration fee only ($12 ) as i had been given it as a part of a site sale. Win win.
  3. kapil

kapil New Member

Most the domains become expensive only when the domains are popular and which get more visitors, those kind of domains can be sold at high price and the domains related to business or names kind of fancy stuff even those kinds of domains are expensive.

kingsizevps.com/ - king Size VPS | makeanysite.com/