1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

gimp vs photoshop

Discussion in 'Graphics and Design' started by dansomers, Nov 22, 2009.

1. EvaBrown

EvaBrown Guest

I prefer Photoshop, it's really cool and user friendly.
  2. Simran01

Simran01 New Member

Since GIMP is free, many people prefer it more but I really love photoshop and I don't think there is far more better tool other than Photoshop...
  3. madhusmita

madhusmita Guest

You have used Photoshop.If you want to try GIMP, you can do it.But I can only suggest for the Photoshop.I really like this design tool.I really enjoy working with it.You can know the difference after working on GIMP.
  4. hbk

hbk Member

Nothing better than Photoshop in designing!
  5. thewebprograms

thewebprograms New Member

Photoshop is Best...
  6. WebStudio Pros

WebStudio Pros Member

GIMP is good for starters. Once you get the hang with it, you would want to try Photoshop. It's a good software which you can use for a lot of design projects. Consider it an investment.
  7. webalwaysnext

webalwaysnext Member

GIMP is free, Thats why your recommend GIMP. Otherwise you can compare Photoshop with any tools.
  8. FabianSmith

FabianSmith Member

Technology has always inspired passionate debates over which tool is the best for the job. In the 1950's there were heated arguments over pocket watch vs. wrist watch. This gave way for the still raging deliberations of Mac vs PC. The question of Photoshop vs Gimp is no different. Thousands of people post to forums why they choose one of the other. But the question is which software is right for you. This article will help you to decide.
      • 1[​IMG]Red Rose made in Photoshop Consider how you are going to use the software, to decide if you need something as powerful as Photoshop or Gimp. If you want something for resizing photos from your digital camera, and removing the occasional red eye then these applications may not be right because they may offer too many options. But if you plan to do a lot photo manipulation, graphic arts, or graphic design than more powerful applications may be what you need.

• 2Find out if your computer hardware and software are compatible with both applications. Navigate to
        Adobe's website and check the system requirements for the latest version of Photoshop. Navigate to the Gimp's website and check the requirements for the latest version of the Gimp. If your computer is not compatible with one or both applications you may need to upgrade or try to find a different graphics application.

• 3Assuming you can run either application on your PC, determine what you are going to do with the end results of your work. Are creating things for the web for print or both? If you are creating things for web both applications may work just fine. If you're are creating things for print are you going to be sending things to a printer who will require images sent in CMYK color or are you starting an your own ad or design business where you will need to do critical color work for clients? In both of these cases Photoshop may be a better choice. Gimp does have some CMYK support but not to the same degree, and it has to be downloaded separately. If you are starting your own print on demand shop at CafePress or Zazzle Gimp can work well since they both use RGB color images for printing your designs.

• 4 Decide if you want to spend more time or more money. One of the biggest reasons people choose Gimp over Photoshop is that Gimp is free and Photoshop costs over $600. Gimp can do nearly all the digital effects, editing and art that Photoshop can do, but Photoshop will do them faster. Gimp may require 3 steps to perform a task that Photoshop does in one. Many of the advanced features installed in Photoshop exist for the gimp but you will need to spend time downloading and installing them separately.

• 5[​IMG]Abstract made in GimpDecide what type of technical support you want. Do you have decent web search skills? Photoshop comes with some technical support form adobe, making finding help easy. Gimp is Open source software so there is no single source for technical support, so if something goes wrong you will need to spend time searching the web for the solution. Again think in terms of spending more time or more money.

• 6 Try them both. Download and install the trial version of Photoshop and the latest version of gimp. Open Photoshop , navigate to a website of tutorials for that application pick a tutorial and follow it. Keep notes if you like of things you found easy or hard. Do the same thing with Gimp. Be sure to choose a tutorials written for the application you are trying at the time.
        Hopefully now you should have an idea of which application you like better and which one will fit your needs.

9. kevintruong

kevintruong Member

photoshop is the best , i just can say that
  10. westmike11

westmike11 New Member

I'd rather choose Photoshop, I know Gimp and I tried it before, but Adobe Photoshop really suites me. This is only my opinion.
    ______
    Mike - web design
  11. Gurmeet

Gurmeet Member

I always use Adobe Photoshop for image editing and graphics designing. I think it is the best software for it.
  12. Chikan

Chikan Guest

Adobe Photoshop is the best. I always use Photoshop for graphics designing.
  13. webalwaysnext

webalwaysnext Member

GIMP is an open source editing software which appeals to several people to use it. However, GIMP is limited to raster graphics. Moreover, it takes a while to get used to the interface and tools as it is different from Photoshop. Adobe Photoshop is one of the best photo editing software. I have used both GIMP and Adobe Photoshop and found Photoshop has more to offer in comparison to GIMP. If you require editing software to for image editing only and raster graphic processing, then GIMP would do you well. However if you require a software for high-end graphic designing which allows you to work with both vector and raster graphics, Photoshop is the one to turn to.
  14. expertali

expertali Member

Most of the peoples are using Photoshop​
  15. methwroser

methwroser Guest

I've been using photoshop for 5 years and the best thing about this application is user friendly and also gives some good and ideal advanced features to compare than GIMP.
  16. idealphilli

idealphilli Member

We use Photoshop since many years because this tool is easy to use in short it is user friendly in comparison to other tools.
  17. pol_bishop25

pol_bishop25 Member

Photoshop is way better than GIMP in my opinion. But I wonder, if you can use it for Ubuntu.
  18. shashank2013

shashank2013 Member

I prefer photoshop its easy to use and one can quickly find out help and tutorial for the photoshop , online and offline class are also easily available for photoshop.
  19. David Abraham

David Abraham New Member

I think photoshop can solve your problem bro
  20. Adi_Leapswitch

Adi_Leapswitch New Member