1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

gimp vs photoshop

Discussion in 'Graphics and Design' started by dansomers, Nov 22, 2009.

1. dansomers

dansomers Active Member

I have used photshop for a few years on a "free" copy but have lost the disc so I have decided to maybe just invest in a paid copy but I have been thinking why pay for something that I only use a small amount of the software!

I have been looking at gimp as that is a open source editing software but want to know if anyone has used it before?
    idealphilli likes this.
  2. NeilAgg

NeilAgg New Member

I have not used GIMP, only Photoshop, but since GIMP is free, I think you should download it and play with it. Can't hurt to try to understand it. If you do, please post a review. I am interested to hear the results.
  3. dansomers

dansomers Active Member

Well I have downloaded gimp, it seems to be pretty good but a slightly bit more "fiddly" than photoshop. It doesn't have everything in the same windows, tool bar in one window, layers in another and so on.

I have had a play around with it and up to now there is nothing missing from it that I have noticed compared to photoshop!
  4. NeilAgg

NeilAgg New Member

That is good to hear. I will try it the next time I need to do something I would normally do in Photoshop.
  5. dansomers

dansomers Active Member

I think I might go back to photoshop though, just because I can and I dont have to learn a programme again!
  6. proweb

proweb Well-Known Member

I did not used this program before.

Maybe I will try it out this week...I heard many good thinks about Gimp.
  7. synbitz

synbitz New Member

does GIMP also have plugins and brushes like photoshop has?
  8. dansomers

dansomers Active Member

After a google I found quite alot of plugins, maybe more than photoshop
  9. namebutler

namebutler New Member

Used both

I've used both programs. If you are just touching up photos and resizing them for web projects GIMP is fine.
  10. luckygal

luckygal New Member

I think that both of them have common features. But i think most of the people prefer to use photo shop. GIMP is a very full featured photo manipulation program and once you learn its ins and outs, there is little you can't do with GIMP and the things you can't are things you won't be able to get PS to do either.
  11. dansomers

dansomers Active Member

I do find gimp is not a memory hogger like photoshop, so I would recommend for those who just do basic banners, flyers artwork.

For anything else then maybe photshop, but as Luckygal has stated there isnt alot of difference!
  12. Gennie32

Gennie32 New Member

try coral draw..its the next step!
  13. harrystone00

harrystone00 New Member

I use Photoshop day to day in my job but I've tinkered around with Gimp a few times and it doesn't come off as a terribly bad application. However it does have one major drawback, terrible branding. I mean seriously, "Gimp"? Only an open source project would ever have such a rotten name. Digg me down if you will but frankly until the open source community starts embracing marketing and branding they just aren't going to see much success. Like it or not a product's image, perceived or otherwise, is a key component of its success.;)
  14. jhonmaxxi

jhonmaxxi New Member

Photoshop is more advanced than gimp. The coding is better, the algorithms are better all around it works better. Photoshop is not simple, is not cheap, and isn't worth wasting your money if this is a once in a while hobby for you.
    The Gimp development team says that Gimp has nothing to do with Photoshop. Gimp has some really good features that are available in full Photoshop package but not via Elements such as the healing brush tool, which allowed me to fix photos in a way Elements does not.
  15. dextermarkus

dextermarkus New Member

Most of the people prefer to use photoshop. GIMP is completely featured photo manipulation program and there is very little scope of any major transformation.
  16. zdan06

zdan06 New Member

I'm always using photoshop and it has lot of features that others don't have. You can have a copy of Photoshop online free and full version if you have idea where and how to download free and full version.

For GIMP, I don't have idea about this yet but its kinda use for beginners.
  17. hanna_depp

hanna_depp New Member

GIMP is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
  18. seomaestro

seomaestro New Member

Do not use GIMP because it is half as good as PhotoShop. It appears lackluster and it does not have the magnificent touch like of Photoshop. Though it is easy to use, it is not attractive at all.
  19. pinkvinny

pinkvinny Member

I found Gimp a year ago, and I think it’s just fantastic. It does everything I want and everything I did in Photoshop.I can say that GIMP is better because its free.
  20. vtpp

vtpp Member

I tried both and I love both. But somehow...once a Photoshop user...always a Photoshop user! :)