1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Getting Started - Tips & Techniques

Discussion in 'Planning Stages' started by Foxx, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foxx

Foxx New Member

How do you usually raise your forum when it's brand new? How to you promote it, attract new members, and get the traffic you want? Share your methods, ideas, tips, and secrets here on how to get a brand new forum off the ground.

Here are some ways that I personally find to be affective:

1. Promote your forum on other forums - Put your forum link in your signature, and promote your forum in a thread made just for it. Make sure you post in the right forum and it's not braking any advertisement rules.

2. Create a "waiting list" - Tell people about your forum, give them sneak peaks, and convince them it will be a good community BEFORE you show it to the public. Now, when your forum goes live you will have people waiting to join immediately.

3. Submit to directories and get on Google - It never hurts to list your forum on as many directories as you can. And it's a good idea to get your forum on Google right away.

4. Forums don't post themselves - Don't be afraid to post "starter" threads throughout your forum. This will give guests a reason to join. Not many people will want to join a forum with no posts. Get some rules, sticky threads, and welcome posts.

5. Make the forum unique - Think to yourself "Why is someone going to want to join my forum rather than competing forums?" Make your forum unique and different. Look at the competition and figure out what they are lacking. Get ideas from them and then make it better in your own, unique way.

I could go on forever with small tips like these that will help get started with your forum. I'm short on time though, but I will update, and you can all share your methods too.
  2. Hayze

Hayze New Member

Wow, the waiting list is a GREAT idea, I've seen it used on another forum, and it worked too, everyone who had seen it wanted to join. Plus the Admin made it seem like it was special to be showing me, by saying don't tell anyone else, just keep it to yourself, when in reality a ton of people knew about it. VERY good idea, rep +.
  3. Foxx

Foxx New Member

Thank You. It is one of my favorites as well.
  4. Medora

Medora New Member

Yes. I am not even among the top five posters at my forum, yet I am, by a large margin, the leader in topic starting. Once in a while, you can come up with your own interesting discussion topic ideas, but you can't be expected to come up with so many on your own in a short amount of time, so one thing you can do is go to similar forums, browse the topics lists (even the oldest topics) looking for topics you like, and submit similar ones with your own meaningful input. Browsing these topics lists may even inspire you to come up with your own very original ideas!

Submitting good topics every day, every other day, or as often as you can will help keep your members coming back. Just think: would you continue going to a forum that hardly ever had new content, or had new content, but mostly junk? Maybe. But just as likely you'd decrease your visitation rate, and eventually drop it. Keep your members entertained! Even a bunch of topics that aren't exactly high quality can promote discussion, but that's up to what type of forum you're aiming for. I like quality discussions, and a culture that promotes it. Therefore, I try my best to strike a balance between quality and quantity.

Yes. There are so many ways to make your forum unique, both on a subtle and obvious level. Every little bit towards distinguishing your forum helps extinguish the sense of deja vu and helps increase the interest of the potential member. For instance, merely taking care to come up with unique but relevant names for your forums. (You can use a thesaurus and browse similar forums to help you come up with possible alternatives to the mundane "Introductions" and "General Discussion".) This is such a very small differentiation, and you may not even find it the least bit meaningful, but the point remains that small changes like that, when accumulated, help create a brand new, interesting identity that will keep the guest viewing just a little longer, at least, and all the more likely to join.

So I assume.
  5. Infinity

Infinity New Member

This is a great list!
    Too bad Google just doesn't seem to take my submission. :(
  6. jamesww

jamesww New Member

Infinity,

What do you mean google will not take your submission?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.