1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Do you use a CMS?

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Discussion' started by MrThomas, May 8, 2010.

1. MrThomas

MrThomas New Member

Do you use a CMS? If so why? If not, why?

Also, what software is your favourite? My personally is Joomla because of it's easy setup and integration with forum systems.
  2. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

For the last 4 years ive been using Joomla and loved it , however lately i have gone off it alot and moved to wordpress. Wordpress is easier imo to skin and configure for my personal needs ( mostly seo related )
  3. MrThomas

MrThomas New Member

I don't have so much experience with that side of things, so can't really comment about seo and skinning.
    Haven't used Word press as I mainly viewed it more of a blog system not a CMS and I don't really have any blogs, so not too familiar with it.

But yes, Joomla is great software. :)
  4. chococheese

chococheese New Member

I haven't done too much with CMS lately but I have used WordPress and PHP-Nuke in the past for my personal projects. I have also worked with Microsoft SharePoint (an ASP based and commercially licensed CMS) at work. I am thinking about looking back into CMS again soon though.
  5. MrThomas

MrThomas New Member

Sharepoint? I'll have to have a look at that.
  6. weblaunch

weblaunch New Member

Depends on how complex the site is. If I think I'll need to revise and enhance the site in the future, then CMS is the way to go. My favorites are Wordpress and Joomla. WP is not just for blogging and is easily adapted for any kind of site.
  7. chococheese

chococheese New Member

I wouldn't recommend SharePoint unless you are going to deploy it in a corporate environment. The SharePoint services software itself is free but it requires your own Windows Server (version 2003 or later) and MS SQL. An additional software package is available called SharePoint Server which adds additional functionality and integration with MS Office. SharePoint Server is very expensive and requires client access licenses. I have access to these because I work in an organization and we have a licensing agreement with Microsoft. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone not deploying in a business environment due to the high cost and server requirements.
  8. jphilipson

jphilipson New Member

Joomla is a great CMS, with tons of feature and lot's of add-ons. However, it is frequently the target of web based exploits. Because of that I usually recommend Drupal. Working in the web-hosting business, I see exploited Joomla scripts daily, but only once have a seen a Drupal site exploited.
  9. chococheese

chococheese New Member

I often hear that too when I read through security reports. I would guess that most of the Joomla users being targeted haven't been patching their software.
  10. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Absolutely , If the end user took the time to patch their script versions when they were actually release then Joomla would never have got the bad press it did. 9 times out of 10 its mostly the webmaster fault.

has anyone ever tried Expression Engine ? I was going to use it for a site about 6 months ago but that prokect kept getting delayed so it never got used.
  11. chococheese

chococheese New Member

Exactly. I also see people running unpatched forums all the time and eventually. they those users get targeted.
    As for Expression Engine, I have yet to try it out. I might have to give it a test sometime.
  12. swetlena

swetlena New Member

No, I use Email Internet..
  13. jphilipson

jphilipson New Member

Not totally true, I think a lot of it is due to the way it is coded and how components tie into the core system. I work for one of the largest cPanel web hosts, and we have customers running thousands and thousands of Drupal sites and other CMS. Lately, like 80% of the site exploits we have seen are due to Joomla, and 2 or 3 Wordpress exploits. Something is wrong with the script itself.
  14. chococheese

chococheese New Member

Its always possible, but I definitely have seen many people who have just forgotten to patch their software.
  15. johndept1

johndept1 New Member

16. chococheese

chococheese New Member

Why can't you use one? Just a personal preference or is something actually preventing you from it?
  17. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

ah , arnt those problems mostly caused by 3rd party poorly coded add-on's ? instead of the actual basic scripts though ? thats what we are all lead to believe anyway isnt it lol . I always thought that especially wordpress were pretty quick off the mark to fix vulnerability's in a standard install .
  18. ametis

ametis New Member

Yes I do, I am Using Wordpress 2.9.2, Because it is spider friendly, SEO friendly.
  19. chococheese

chococheese New Member

I would think that those problems are often caused by 3rd party add-ons as well. Those usually don't receive the same level of testing or security audits that the main software usually would receive. Security vulnerabilities always start with poor coding.
  20. allyroghur

allyroghur Banned

Yes I am using CMS as content management system is software that keeps track of every piece of content on your Web site, much like your local public library keeps track of books and stores them. A major advantage of using a CMS is that it requires almost no technical skill or knowledge to manage.