1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Do directories get indexed slower than other sites?

Discussion in 'Web Directories' started by jphilipson, May 16, 2010.

1. jphilipson

jphilipson New Member

Recently I purchased some directory submissions, and verified most of them were actually on these directories. One thing I noticed is when I check back links on the search engines, not a single one has shown up. What makes it stranger is that I have links that are much newer showing up in the interim. Can anyone shed light on this?
  2. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

They can take months to show up , and some will never show up because they do not offer enough value for google to warrent giving you the pleasure of seeing a backlink , Yahoo site explorer will give you a better picture of what links are being indexed too as google filter these out until they export their backlink updates.

But to answer the question directories get crawled the same speed as any other site, the more backlinks a directory has going to it the more chance there is a bot will slide down the backlink and start crawling the directory , also good directory internal linking matters alot. Directories need SEO too to be worth anything and unfortunately alot of webmasters setup a directory and then leave it just to get webmasters to the site.
  3. jphilipson

jphilipson New Member

I see, that clarifies it quite a bit. And I've been playing with Yahoo site explorer a lot recently, I've discovered it to be a pretty good tool so far; and it seems Yahoo updates it's back-links a lot quicker, unlike Google who takes months to see anything.
  4. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

yeah you'll find that google update their backlinks a week or so before the Page rank export. Where Yahoo are pretty much live so you'll see the backlinks nearly as soon as the crawler crawls the site.
  5. jphilipson

jphilipson New Member

Is there any value to the order that links are listed in Yahoo? Sometimes it seems like they are organized according to their value, other times it seems there is no trend at all.
  6. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

I used to think there was some truth to authority sites being ordered near the top of the list but then some days it would show a site which was totally crap near the top so it made me think twice , so the really i have no idea lol
  7. jphilipson

jphilipson New Member

OK, so your experience with Yahoo site explorer is pretty much the same as mine, as that is exactly what I have been seeing. So the official answer to that question is "no one knows but Yahoo".
  8. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

haha yeah i think that would be a correct assumption , just a matter of how Yahoo is feeling in that particular search.
  9. sheril123

sheril123 New Member

it depends on the popularity of the directory and the PR on how your links get indexed..
  10. ksi98

ksi98 New Member

Both incoming links at the directory and directory domain age influence to index speed.
  11. Henry Wilson

Henry Wilson New Member

Yes directories gets indexed very slowly when compared with other websites.
  12. tigari_electronice

tigari_electronice Member

Google make take some time. It depends on many factors.
  13. savedbyhim01

savedbyhim01 Member

Are you using Google webmaster tools? They won't show a lot of information there.
  14. nadia

nadia Member

For Directories, Google has now changed the criteria and main thing google updated is Penguin. Now paid submission will be penalized for sure.
  15. dojo

dojo Member

From what I know google is not as in 'love' as it was with directories anymore. So it's safe to assume such links are not as valuable or as important for it as they were. I usually skip this process, just because most of the time it's an effort that doesn't bring me anything in return.
  16. seolyka2

seolyka2 Member

That's why it is better to search directory submission list manually to be able to know if it is index in Google.
  17. jamesa

jamesa Member

The possible reason is that your backlinks haven't been indexed & crawled yet. Try twitting & social bookmarking them for faster index.