1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Compare Windows and Linux hosting, whats the main difference ?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting Forum' started by Old Admin, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Im not one for hosting knowledge although i normally hold enough to get my self by and with a little help along the way, the only thing i ever knew about windows hosting is that you cant use Mod-rewrite ? although i dont even know if thats true anymore since it was around 6 years ago the last time i actually even looked at windows hosting :p

So tell me the main differences in Windows and Linux hosting ?
  2. chococheese

chococheese New Member

There aren't too many differences between the two these days. Generally, you may find that Windows hosting has an additional fee due to the "higher" operating cost of a running licensed server. The main technical difference is that the two platforms have different FTP commands. Also, Windows hosting usually won't support TELNET or SSH access while Linux hosts will usually have this option, although these are both possible on Windows if configured by the admin. Other things to note are that not all Linux hosts have ASP.NET support since this is a Microsoft technology. Microsoft Access databases and MSSQL are limited to Windows since these are Microsoft products. Many people debate about the security of the two systems. Windows is generally known to be less secure but the bottom line is that it all depends on the server admin. If the server is maintained properly (by a reputable host usually), you shouldn't have much to worry about on either platform. In terms of speed, Linux is usually the more lightweight of the two platforms and is usually said to be slightly faster than Windows. In the end, I think the best way to decide which platform is better for you is to figure out what kind of pages you are trying to server (PHP or ASP.NET) and figure out what kind of database you need to use. Either way, the differences are going to be pretty minor. For my personal use, I use a Linux webhost and write my pages in PHP. At work, I run 4 Windows web servers and write pages in ASP.NET. The reason I need Windows servers at work is because we use MSSQL for our database and Microsoft Exchange Server for corporate email. If it weren't for those things, Linux servers would technically be sufficient for use at my place of work but we need to use Windows because of our heavy use of Microsoft server products.
    1 person likes this.
  3. christian smith

christian smith New Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Linux is more cost-effective than Windows, meaning that Linux hosting will cost you less than Windows hosting. Linux is stable and speedy which means that Linux web servers will crash less often than Windows web servers and Linux runs most processes faster than Windows.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Linux supports a huge range of software, languages, applications and databases such as PHP, Perl, PostGre, MySQL, PostgreSQL and many others making it very scalable. On the downside, Linux is not fully compatible with some Microsoft technologies so if you are using Access, ASP, MS SQL, or VB development tools then Windows will be better.[/FONT]
  4. ametis

ametis New Member

Linux server are harder to crash rather than windows server, windows server are more vulnerable against FUD's.
  5. chococheese

chococheese New Member

Well it really depends on the server admin. If a Windows server is maintained properly, it can be as stable and secure as a linux server.
  6. joefann

joefann Banned

Linux is economically good than Windows, means Linux hosting comparatively cheap than Windows hosting.
    Microsoft owns the Windows operating system. Linux is open source and generally free.
    This means it can often be more expensive to set up and run a Windows server. However, this fact doesn't really affect people.
    Your choice of server platforms should be dictated by the use to which you intend to put it. Most of the web features run fine on both platforms including PHP, mySQL, POP3 etc. If you intend to create your site using ASP, FrontPage, the .NET atmosphere, Windows Streaming Media, Access, MSSQL, or any of the other Microsoft proprietary technologies then you probably need to use a Windows host. There is limited support for a number of these technologies in Linux, but they can be expensive and are usually lacking in features.
    It will be far more important to choose a really good web host than to worry about the server-type that they implement.
  7. WireNine

WireNine Member

The main differences would be PHP/MySQL vs ASP/MSSQL, it all depends on the coding platform you use for your applications or web site. Linux hosting is usually cheaper compared to Windows Hosting as well.
  8. xLinkMasterx

xLinkMasterx New Member

Linux = cheap and more reliable.
  9. jawnmurray

jawnmurray New Member

I guess I'll have to agree with you on that one. I don't know why but I've heard many people say that Linux servers don't crash much.
  10. jawnmurray

jawnmurray New Member

cheap...ok. but is it as simple to use as windows server?
  11. ~kev~

~kev~ Active Member

Years ago, like the late 1990s, this is what people use to say

If you have 1,000 people visiting your site, use windows
    If you have 10,000 people visiting your site, use linux
    If you have 100,000 people visiting your site, use sun micro systems
    If you have 1,000,000 people visiting your site, use IBM or Unix or BSD

But in the past 10 years, windows has come a long way. But Unix, IBM and BSD are still the leaders in high usage sites.

Windows handles memory differently then linux, windows has a graphic user interface - linux you can turn that off, windows requires you to re-boot on certain updates, linux requires less rebooting,,,,,

There are just a lot of differences, too many to go into here.
  12. mrhelena

mrhelena Member

No, Windows servers are hard to use where Linux servers are simple to use and user friendly.
  13. mahesh2010

mahesh2010 Member

My opinion: Windows Hosting more headache and trouble to manage and execute many open source projects...in Linux it is good.
  14. ahtivas

ahtivas New Member

Exactly I too go with linux hosting. They are cheaper and really good.
  15. chococheese

chococheese New Member

That's actually true for the most part. For my job, I administrate Windows and Linux servers. Windows Update always wants you rebooting all the time lol.
  16. Crish Bronzs

Crish Bronzs New Member

Re :

One more vote to Linux Hosting. It is cheap because of its resource are free.
  17. webhostus

webhostus Member

Hi,

We are often asked which hosting platform one should choose, Linux or Windows. Below, we've listed the major differences between the two that you should consider in making your final decision.

Linux Hosting :

Linux is an open source system and is therefore more cost-effective to operate and maintain than Windows, meaning that Linux hosting will cost you less than Windows hosting. Linux also has a reputation for stability and speed which means that Linux web servers will crash less often than Windows web servers and Linux runs most processes faster than Windows.

Linux supports a wide range of software, applications, languages, and databases such as PHP, Perl, PostGre, MySQL, PostgreSQL and many others making it very scalable. On the downside, Linux is not fully compatible with some Microsoft technologies so if you are using Access, ASP, MS SQL, or VB development tools then Windows would be a better bet.

Windows Hosting :

The main "advantage" or distinction of Windows servers is that they can run Microsoft software such as Access and MS SQL databases. Windows servers also offer web developers the use of Microsoft's programming environments such as Active Server Pages (ASP), Visual Basic Scripts, MS Index Server.

Users can develop web site using the familiar interface of Microsoft tools such as, Visual Interdev, and Microsoft Access. With ASP users can develop a database-driven web site using Microsoft Access and Microsoft SQL as the database.
  18. ServerSea

ServerSea Moderator

19. eUKhost

eUKhost Official Company Representative

Linux is an open source operating system and doesn't need any license. Thus, it is cost-effective and most preferred. Also, most of the applications and softwares are free to download and install for linux. Most of the website owners prefer linux platform to host their websites.
  20. ServerSea

ServerSea Moderator

Yes Linux is very Cost effective as compared to windows hosting. Linux operating system is also very good of email solutions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.