1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Best WP Plugins

Discussion in 'General Programming' started by midlandi, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. midlandi

midlandi Can you smell that?

Any one care to list what they think are the best Wordpress plugins.
  2. Zoli

Zoli New Member

3. midlandi

midlandi Can you smell that?

Nice work Bagi.

And self promotion in my book is when you have nothing to offer for the benefit of other members, clearly you do so thanks for the link.

4. Zoli

Zoli New Member

No i am over the self promotion so this time i list some really nice ones
    • link to me plugin which create an input at the end of your posts offering the permalink for copy so it can fasten the process of link bait,
    • sociable for the social bookmar system hardcore fans,
    • ajax post rating only if you are brave enough,
    • advanced cache plugin for really busy blogs, sadly cause of the shared hosting restriction i couldn't install this
    So these are my favs:cooler:
  5. jumpenjuhosaphat

jumpenjuhosaphat New Member

I use a few, but none that are too much to brag about....I think the one that sounds most interesting is this one:

I also use one that is called audio player. I need to set up a youtube video player on there too, but I can't seem to find one that works.
  6. Zoli

Zoli New Member

Jumo i had no idea that you have WP experience, i thought you are a hardcore blogger guy:biggrin:

The akismet plugin would be very useful but for some reason i couldn't obtain the mentioned API, so now the visitors must prove that they can add together two numbers:blush:
  7. jumpenjuhosaphat

That might be a handy feature...My biggest spammer might be a bot of some sort, maybe I should require some sort of captcha or verification system...How did you implement the addition thing?
  8. Zoli

Zoli New Member

Jump this is plugin, called did you path math, easy to implement and super effective.
  9. Kalina

Kalina TriPHP Contributor

The Dofollow plugin - http://www.semiologic.com/software/wp-fixes/dofollow/

This is good because by default Wordpress puts a "nofollow" into comment links and this plugin removes the "nofollow" so the spiders will follow through to your visitors who leave comments sites...
  10. jumpenjuhosaphat

I found another one that sounds promising....It's called wp-spamfree, it makes use of javascript and cookies to disrupt spambots. I don't know how well it works yet, I just now installed it, but I've been getting 100 or more spams per day, so I'll know soon enough.

I also installed the math one that you recommended Bagi. I haven't tried using it....There are all sorts of interesting plug ins for WP. I'm considering messing around with some widgets.

I didn't know that about the no-follow attribute, I guess for me its good considering I let the spam go for so long...
  11. Zoli

Zoli New Member

Kalina, once i gave a try to the dofollow plugin but the fact that external links were not marked with nofollow encouraged the spammers to post 'good practice', 'thanks' and similar low quality comments. The main goal of a plugin which enable to use dofollow comment links would be to improve the interaction, but according to my experience it doesn't, at least not in this form. I think it would be nice if the dofollow plugin would offer the option at the comment moderation page to remove the nofollow attributum if i wish, but doesn't do it automatically.:rollingeyes:
  12. jumpenjuhosaphat

So I installed that spam free plugin, and it helped. The spam seems to have slowed, but there is one spammer than still continues to penetrate all of my defenses. I just installed wp-ban and put that IP addy on the ban list, I'll see how that works and report back.
  13. Zoli

Zoli New Member

Jump, have you tried to mark the guy's comments as spam at the moderation page? I'm asking this because i supposed that will do the ban job somehow.
  14. jumpenjuhosaphat

I did. I marked about 100 as spam, but it didn't make a difference.
  15. Kalina

Kalina TriPHP Contributor

I have absolutely no problem because I have akismet enabled, for me it catches ALL spam. So the dofollow works great for my honest guests who leave honorable comments and not just spam. All blog owners should have some form of a spam catcher enabled and in my experience, akismet is the best for wordpress.
  16. jumpenjuhosaphat

I'm seriously considering akismet, but the API has me deterred.

Since I installed the ban option, and banned IP 195.225.178.29, I haven't had anymore spam. It's only been about 12 hours though, I'll give it a few days before I say too much good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.