1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

As this forum grows

Discussion in 'General Webmaster Discussion' started by temi, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. temi

temi New Member

I wonder if the management of this forum will consider upgrading or should I say changing the software that powers this forum to VB, VB is the king of forum software. I run about 4 forums, they all used different software including phpBB and SMF but the agro of looking for hacks and other stuff for SMF and phpBB consumes a lot of time, I have now change all my forum software to phpBB and that works fine.

Just a thought
  2. midlandi

midlandi Can you smell that?

You never know what the future will bring.
    There will be ongoing changes, but i see no reason at the moment to use any other programme.
    Personally i like the layout of this and its ease of use.
    I like the "stats" thats not normally found.
    BTW Jump must take the credit here for the setup.Nice work!
  3. temi

temi New Member

I know you must love it personally to have installed it but (I could be wrong) one need to think more of the users than one's preference. Must forum users are used to VB or phpBB, its irritating and could lose potential wavy users if they have to keep searching for controls etc instead of just going to where they are familiar with and configuring signature etc for example I want to add my signature for a few days now, I am sure it exist but really do not have the time to keep searching and figuring it out, I want to automatically subscribe to post so that I am notified when there is a response to my post, don't know how to do it, don't have the time to figure it out yet but if its a phpBB or VB, I know exactly where to go to configure signature or other things.
    I have no problem, will be posting in this forum come what may, this is just a tip that I think could help your forum grow quicker.

Please do not take offence at this post, its not a critisism

Good luck
  4. jumpenjuhosaphat

jumpenjuhosaphat New Member

No offense was taken. SMF, to non SMF users is a bit tricky at first, but you'll soon find you become more familiar with it, and it will become second nature to you. I've not personally used PHPBB, but the security risks in using it are inherent, so I opted for forum software that I am personally fond of. I agree though that an upgrade to VB would be much nicer, but I think we'd like to grow the forum a bit before taking that step.

To change your signature bar, go to the User CP and in the left menu click on Forum Profile Information. There you will be able to change your avatar, your signature and a few other things.

To subscribe to a thread, while you are making a reply and before you post it, click on the blue link that says Additional Options, and then tick the Notify me of replies box.

I hope that helps out a little.
  5. temi

temi New Member

Thanks very much for this jump, yes, you are right, there is no reason why I will not get to know and live SMF like I do phpBB and VB.
    Its just that old timers like me resist new things but if its for a good reason like being an active member of this forum, I am willing to learn and adapt :)
  6. jumpenjuhosaphat

jumpenjuhosaphat New Member

I know what you mean, I'm the same way with a lot of things, I just like to resist the changes, no particular reason for it, that's just how I am. We are certainly glad that you're willing to learn the new software, but we're more glad simply cause you're here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.