1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Are The Amount of Posts In A Forum Important?

Discussion in 'Forums' started by Humza Bajwa, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Humza Bajwa

Humza Bajwa Active Member

Just wondering, do you look at the number of posts a forum has before joining it? Do you think a forum with more posts is better than a forum with less posts? Please englighten me :p
  2. swg

swg New Member

To an extent, yes.

It needs to have a decent amount of posts in order to have something to respond to and discuss. But it doesn't necessarily have to have hundreds and thousands of millions.
  3. ptgengye

ptgengye New Member

Generally speaking, more posts would be better for learning purpose. But, I also think they should be niche relative ones except in the off topic area. :)

Thanks,
  4. sazymi

sazymi New Member

I think so. Let me ask you, what is your reason why you join in a forum site like this?
    Well, your possible answers will be;

- You want to learn things about Webmaster, SEO and other things.
    - You want a signature that will links back in your site.
    - You just want to have a free resources.

For me, in able to give back to the free privileges that you are getting from a forum site like this. Its is better if you have a lot of quality post so that the admin or owner of the forum site will be glad to have you as a member that you are keep on sharing your knowledge and opinions with other members that will keep the community nice and good.
  5. kappa84

kappa84 New Member

I do not think always more is better. I usually first read 2-3 topics, if they are ok I register. If they are not, I do not. As simple as that. :)
  6. vBDiscussions

vBDiscussions New Member

Dont really matter to me at all, only if there is sign of life around i'll post too lol.
  7. seo4hire

seo4hire Member

Yes the amount of posts is important. You've got to check the dates of the latest posts. If you see dates from last year then its a low traffic forum. I like SEO-related forums because I get to read informative posts and learn from seo experts.
  8. _Matt

_Matt New Member

To me the amount of posts isn't too important, it's the quality of the posts that matters.

A forum with 20 quality posts is worth a lot more than a forum with 1,000+ of rubbish.
  9. chococheese

chococheese New Member

A forum with a high number of posts might look more appealing, but there are other factors that should be taken into account. The most important factors that should be inspected when evaluating a forum is the frequency of member activity and the amount of active posters. You may come across a forum with a very large number of posts, but perhaps it has been inactive for several years or maybe all the posts are by one member. For that reason, you should always look deeper than the total number of posts.
  10. _Matt

_Matt New Member

That is a really good point, I've had a similar experience myself.

One forum I joined at the beginning of the year seemed to be rather busy and popular, after joining I realised that around 90% of the posts where made by an RSS bot, it was just duplicated content from another forum which happened to be one that I visited anyway. I haven't been back to that forum since and I doubt I ever will.
  11. LALAGUY

LALAGUY New Member

Depends on the kind of forum it is.
    I want to make a site like gaia, where forum posts aren't the most important, but still important enough.
    General forums, I think it matters more.
  12. seo4hire

seo4hire Member

Any clue on the forum's name?
  13. eurovive

eurovive New Member

I think amount of posts is semi-important.
    The more important is how much peoples in same time are online on your forums.
    Nick
  14. eurovive

eurovive New Member

Also forum should be seo optimized.
    I prefer Vbulletin.
    Nick
  15. sueque

sueque New Member

This is very true. In some instances with busy forums, you've got to pick through dozens of weak posts or outright spam to find anything worthwhile. Better to have fewer, more quality posts than a lot of clutter in the forums. Of course, it depends on the subject matter too. For a forum like this, where we're sharing knowledge, that style is better. If it's a humour or joke forum then there's probably always going to be more filler type posts, and that's ok in that context.
  16. Yoshi

Yoshi New Member

Of course, i wont join a site if i am alone on it... :D

It's really important, but the quality of the contributions are important as well :)
  17. johndench1

johndench1 New Member

The quantity of posts is significant. You've got to check the dates of the latest posts. If you see dates from last year then it’s a low traffic forum. I like SEO-related forums because I get to read educational posts and learn from seo expert.
  18. Gareth_Boyd

Gareth_Boyd New Member

When I go to a forum I usually check on the activity and what the quality of posts are like. Other than that I couldn't care if it had 1 million posts, at the end of the day it could be dead.
  19. SEOArbiter

SEOArbiter New Member

I think a forum that is widely used is better since obviously it could potentially lead to more traffic and marketing for you, your product, or service.
  20. .Core

.Core New Member

Large number of post represent how old the community/member its also shows the respect and experience but its useless at that point when there are huge post but all are useless its totally depend upon the people of the forum how they increase their post by posting something use full and help full or by useless posting.