1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

Abbreviations in domain names

Discussion in 'Domain Name Forum' started by Rqqepqqq, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Rqqepqqq

Rqqepqqq New Member

I was wondering what people think of abbreviations in domain names; for example the site I'm buying a domain for ends in

industries (don't know if I should say the name of the site) but ******industries.com is taken so I was thinking to register

******ind.com (ind. is short for industries if anyone doesn't know) this would also make it way shorter which is a huge plus.

What do you think?
  2. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Providing your brand is well marketed and your visitors will remember that name ( and not the other name ) then its perfectly fine, Or if your company does not rely on return visitors etc its also fine. Personally when i go into branding i prefer to get a name and protect it , if i truely beleive its worth it would buy all TLD's and as many abbreviations of that as i could. Or i if it was a unique brand able name which no one else had thought of before like "ebay" or "flippa" then i would be trademarking the word/brand so if anyone was to use it for the purpose of impersonating the company/product you could do something about it .
    JPMiddleton likes this.
  3. Henry Wilson

Henry Wilson New Member

Better to provide the complete name of your company in the domain name. It represents your company brand and promotes it.
  4. ServerSea

ServerSea Moderator

You can tell me your company name i will suggest you a good domain name.
  5. eUKhost

eUKhost Official Company Representative

Its better to have your full company name in your domain name, it becomes a kind of branding for your company, however it is not the only factor which effects your ranking. Even if your domain name includes a single targeted keyword you could still market your website in effective ways and increase your ranking and sales. And if the domain name is not available, its okay, you could use the abbrevation in your domain name.
  6. balivillas

balivillas Moderator

Actually, in domain reselling and marketing industry, 2 to 4 letter abbreviation domains are more likely to cost higher than the full world domains. SO I say, I would prefer using the full world or quite wordy domains than taking chances on buying those priced domains.
  7. ServerSea

ServerSea Moderator

If your company name is too big then you can use abbreviations other wise using full company name is better option.
  8. summerwilkins

summerwilkins New Member

How necessary it is that you have to abbreviate domain names? To what extent you have to abbreviate?
  9. weblister

weblister Member

i would always recommend to use the full company name if you can. There are always ways you can get round it, like using _ or - or the

if you cannot think of a way of using with symbols or extra's in some way then i would abbreviate it yes, it depends how important you feel it is on having industries.

If the first part of the company is a lot more important than the industries bit it should not matter that much.
  10. ServerSea

ServerSea Moderator

Yes i do agree with you that use full company name of domain name. It will gives good impact.
  11. goodluckdomain

goodluckdomain Member

your domain name plays a vital role in business because your domain name describes the content of your website.
  12. ServerSea

ServerSea Moderator

Domain name should represents the buisness. The domain name should with small and catchy.
  13. eUKhost

eUKhost Official Company Representative

IMO. you should have atleast a single word that would give an idea about the products or services you wish to sell over your website. You may use a combination of words which might even result in a phrase but would give a hint to the visitor and would be reputed as a brandname in future.
  14. che09

che09 Member

Using the full name of your company would be the best choice!
  15. ServerSea

ServerSea Moderator

Well it depends. Mostly people dont prefer long domain name. Domain name should be small and it should represents your company and buisness.
  16. JPMiddleton

JPMiddleton Active Member

Good point. If you're confident in the domain - you would be willing to shell out for all LTLDs.. if not then it should probably tell you something about your choice to be honest. I've made that mistake a couple of times and ended up selling the domain on again.
  17. Tom

Tom Member

As long as the abbreviation is not ambiguous then it should work out.