1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

A Domain Board

Discussion in 'Planning Stages' started by Chris, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris

Chris New Member

I am thinking of what to do with a new domain I just acquired: dnpunks.com

It seems like a sweet name for a Domain Name discussion board, but I haven't had much luck launching forums as of late.

Do you think there are too many Domain Discussion boards and things of that sort to work a new one in?

Also, what would you do with the domain? Maybe some fresh ideas will help me out.
  2. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Thats a really nice domain chris , its catchy and easy to remember plus its a .com which helps.

I think you've got the right idea about what to do with it, however here are what i can see :

• alot of competition in that niche but not unbeatable for SEO
    • MUST have vbulletin and Vbseo to even attract the type of audience you need
    • has to have something unique that will draw people away from the big boys

The up side is with webmaster related sites webmasters sign up to everything, if you launch it right and put a little money behind promoting it, then it could be a big hit, after it kicks off you just have to keep the ball rolling then.

Focus on SEO and Advertising after you have a good design and layout, the rest will come eventually and naturally
  3. Chris

Chris New Member

The vB part will kill me simply because I can't afford it.

I'm glad you think it is a decent idea though, hearing it from someone else makes me a little more confident about it.
  4. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

yeah Vb is getting stupidly expensive, even VBseo isnt a "must have" though, look how successful DP is, they've have relied on pure marketing and Seo and got great results.

If you'd have asked me 16 - 18 months ago i couldnt justify spending money on VB when there was free scripts out there, now i realise what i was missing, you save time and effort with VB which will eventually save you money too, in terms of site revenue and ease to expand
  5. Chris

Chris New Member

I was seriously looking into vB for awhile, but then the price went up again, and I just can't keep up.
  6. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

yeah i know what you mean, it might be worth buying a leased licence for the year, then upgrading after that year has gone and you have made a little revenue from ad sales etc.

When are you thinking of launching the site ?
  7. Chris

Chris New Member

I'm not sure. I want to get a plan down, and really plan this one out, because the last couple projects I have tried to jump into too quickly haven't panned out well, and I am looking for something that is going to roll and not stagnate.

Do you feel there is a alternative to vB that can realistically be used for a project like this one?
  8. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Honestly ? not really but the closest i think you will get is SMF i think although saying that TVdinner was saying his site runs something different and that looks good , might be worth asking him what it is
  9. Chris

Chris New Member

10. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

yeah i think thats it but i think he might have spent money on his because it looks a lot better than their standard one lol, Ive heard of MyBB but never tried it, i used a polish modified phpbb board for nearly 2 years and it was great

www.przemo.org but support is a little slow, im they were working on a phpbb3 version last time i checked , if they have that done now it would be worth a look at
  11. Chris

Chris New Member

12. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Yeah doesn't look to bad, what's it like for customizing and making good templates ?
  13. Chris

Chris New Member

I haven't found it hard to customize when I have used it.
    The only issue I have with MyBB is that if you are unable to make your own skins and templates, there is a lack of premade ones among the MyBB resource boards, so sometimes the look of many of them is similar.
    But when I edit things in the templates (Which I am fairly novice at) I seem to be able to get around fine and edit stuff. Everything is broken down and easy to use.
  14. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

Well in that case mate i cant see why you can give it a try, if at anypoint you get to a stage where you think the board is letting you down then you can convert the database over to vb and nothing will be lost
  15. ALEX

ALEX New Member

You got DNPunks at fHQ right? I can't believe someone would let a beauty like that go for forum currency.

Anyways, you're dead right when it comes to lack of good skins for MyBB boards. I think they say MyBB is the closest free forum software to vB, so if you're looking for something like that then I would go with MyBB.

As for template editing, just study it, learn where everything goes and what controls what (if you can).
  16. Chris

Chris New Member

Yeah, I picked it up for 15K fBucks, which I thought was a steal for that domain.

That's like, less that $2, 109 gave me a great deal on it.

Plus, I had been looking for something to dump my fBucks on, since I never use them for anything else.
  17. Old Admin

Old Admin Administrator

thats a great domain for such a price ill give you $10 for it so you make a profit lol only kiddin :)
  18. Chris

Chris New Member

I know I was pretty fortunate to get it for that.

So I was thinking, about a possible forum layout:

Community
    -DNPunks Broadcast (News & Announcements with a cooler name)
    -Center Stage (Intro forum?)
    -Feedback and Suggestions

Domains
    -Domain Talk
    -Appraise my Domain!
    -What's New?

What else could I move into for forums?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.