1. I've started a massive SPAM purge, any accounts that have spammed are being removed, also for a short period new user signups are disallowed until the SPAM cleaning is finished.

5 More Tactics to Earn Links for Your Local Business

Discussion in 'SEO Forum' started by KunalSingh, Apr 28, 2011.

1. KunalSingh

KunalSingh Active Member

Discussion Search + Local Keywords

Google's "discussion search" feature is underutilized in general, but I was surprised when browsing the recommendations of other citation-focused threads to see that it hadn't ever been mentioned! Watch how easy it is:
    The discussions not only lead you to sites where listings are often possible, but they also give a great opening to mention or promote your business (just make sure you do it authentically + transparently). It's also a tremendous source of competitive intelligence and goes deeper than the usual reviews in terms of researching what customers and potential customers want and why they might be choosing other businesses.

Image Results for Competitors' Business Names

Another great vertical for finding opportunities is the image search results. A variety of query types function here, but a few of the ones that I like include:

* Names of competitors' businesses
    * Cityname + business type/category
    * Products/services you offer + cityname
    * Both of the above w/ neighborhood names (rather than citynames)

Note that hovering on an image shows its location, which can help you quickly determine if the source is one you've already got, or something new and worth investigation. Sources that show local images have a surprisingly good crossover with possible listing opportunities.

Events Calendars, Sponsorships + Donations

Google Places' list of sources (and Bing Maps' too) are pulling from more and more obscure pages and sites that have little to do with simply listing local businesses. It seems as though any sites that regularly mention or link to local businesses and include address/phone info and descriptions become sources for discovery, and possibly rankings, too. They may not have the trusted feed or the same direct effect, but it appears that in some competiive SERPs, they're making the difference (NOTE: If you know lots more about Places rankings than I and have tested this, please do leave a comment).

Social Profiles w/ a Local Focus

Given the expansion of data sources/types that Google's using, social profiles, where you can often add information about your business including name/address/phone/site/etc. make a lot of sense. Here's an example:

Sites like Formspring, About.me, Quora, Twitter, Facebook, Hunch, OpenForum, Slideshare, etc. all offer potential, and you can likely find many more.

Cityname + Business Type + Listings/Businesses/Results

These are simple searches to perform, but again, I didn't see them mentioned in my review of many recommendations-style posts. An example:
    The idea is simply to find places that you might not have discovered through competitive analysis, either because your competitors aren't there or because Google's not showing them in the "more about this place" or "reviews from around the web" sets. In the former case, they're definitely worth nabbing, in the latter case, it's a less sure ROI, but potentially worth the effort, particularly if you've already exhausted the other opportunities.
  2. veryshant

veryshant Member

Nice post on local SEO.For local SEO you should figure out your targeted audience. What keywords audience searches for your niche.After this you can adopt some SEO tactics.The very first optimize your title.Put most important keywords at the beginning of the title also put different title for different pages.Add few internal links in your content.Submit your sites on yellow pages like sites that allow you to update your business information for free.Add your address to every page.Then go for any linkbuilding techniques.You can add a blog to your site also.
  3. jjj1

jjj1 Member

Sorry - what do you mean by Google's discussion feature?

For local websites, I find GeoURL (2.0) helpful.
  4. online

online New Member

that‘s good idea ,“Add few internal links in your content.Submit your sites on yellow pages like sites that allow you to update your business information for free.Add your address to every page.Then go for any linkbuilding techniques.You can add a blog to your site also. ”
  5. packston

packston Member

Randfish has explained all these tactics, but still am working on it how to work on discussion search + local keywords. please can any one explain me in details.
  6. nestrellejohn

nestrellejohn New Member

Are these tactics are working?How does it works?
  7. denysaputra

denysaputra Member

I think that need more time and focus. But still good idea!
  8. an_roks

an_roks New Member

Yes ofcourse one has to start SEO by targeting local directories.